1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transitioning While In High School

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by drummer27, Aug 1, 2015.

1. drummer27

I've been really anxious lately about going to school and changing everything. I'll be going back with a different style, and I'm looking to get my haircut short really soon. As someone who's always had long hair, I'm worried about peoples' opinions. I may not be friends with everyone in my grade, but I know most of the people and I'm so scared to do something "wrong". I'm not what one might call popular and I'm scared about what'll happen when I make the choice to change my hair. I'm about to start therapy soon and I wanna get help there, but I wanted some input now. How did you go about changing your hair? It doesn't necessarily have to be with school. I know I can't be the only one scared about this! :icon_redf:bang::icon_sad:

2. KayJay

While I didn't transition during high school, I sure wish I did.

I was afraid of being judged and I was judged anyways for other things. Teenagers aren't adults and the environment is just the way it is. I regret not doing it earlier just because I was scared of what people thought. It's definitely a good time to do it if you look at the rest of your life. You'll be able to start post secondary education as the gender you like, introduce yourself as you're name and stuff. Just look at it as an investment to the future even if you have to take some shit for doing it now.

Unfortunately I've no insight or advice with the hair :frowning2:

3. drummer27

Perfectly okay! Thank you. I'd take any advice with transitioning period.

4. Mischief

Mischief Guest

No one even noticed when I cut my hair off. I came back from a two week holiday, binding and with short hair. I had a few "your hair looks better this way", or "you look like _____", but really, people are too invested in their own dramas to even really take notice. Good luck (*hug*)

5. HardToSay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go for it! High School is good for FTM's to transition. Girls have a lot more freedom at that age, boys get ridiculed and beat up for doing the same. In fact, many feminists will go YAY!!!!

6. crystallight268

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Even though I'm questioning my gender right now, I could give you some input about the hair. I first cut my hair off in 8th grade and many people stared at me and gave me looks. People would smack me in the back of my head at the time to bully me but over time it got better. Now people are used to me having short hair so its 'normal' for them now lol. The only thing you'll probably have to go through is something similar to what I went through because people in our generation are just really rude. Hopefully nobody bullies you or hits you like they did me. Good luck!

7. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I cut my hair in 8th grade nobody thought much of it. They did think I was a lesbian for a while, but, then again, I did have a bisexual girl friend who was pretty touchy feely with me so maybe that's why. I don't know your situation, but in mine nobody really noticed nor cared.

8. FootballFan101

GO FOR IT. If you get bullied, tell a supportive LIBERAL teacher and your parents (if your out to them) Have NO shame you are who you are