1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coming out?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by confusedperson2, Aug 3, 2015.

1. confusedperson2

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Does anyone have any advice on how to come out to your family? FTM here and i really think they need to know...its starting to bother me that they don't see me as a guy and call me by my birthname in public and use the wrong pronouns. i know even if i tell them they still might not call me by my preferred terms but at least they know and it isnt like im hiding around. I have dropped a few conversations about trans* in general to put some feelers out there. I am not sure how its going to go. I am tired of lying and sneaking around. I just want to be me. any advice would be helpful. Thanks!

2. Elianora

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I would say chose find one person in your family who you are closest to or who is most likely to support you or just someone who you can talk to (heck, it could even just be a close friend). Tell them first and then ask them to be there when you come out to the rest of the family. Having just one person to give you support can do wonders. Now, as for the part where you actually come out. If it is just to a single person I often recommend writing a letter and leaving it in a place where they are sure to find it (Even a mailbox would work if its in a envelope and addressed to them). This way there is no pressure to respond immediately and it gives the person some time to think about it as well as letting you think out exactly what you want to say. The other way (and the way I prefer with people I trust) is just take them on a walk or a drive and just straight up say it. No beating around the bush, no hinting just be absolutely clear. Its a little harder but sometimes you just need to get it out of the way. I wish you the best of luck and I hope this helps, even just a little.