1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't afford a therapist?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cynder, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Cynder

I really can't afford a therapist, but I want to start T after my 18th birthday in December. I know I need a therapist to get the letter, and to be honest, having somebody to talk to would be really helpful to me. I know some therapists have a sliding scale, but the cheapest one I know of is still $65 per hour, and I don't have the money for that. Also, I will be in Montana, and I don't know about any therapists up there.

So does anybody know of cheap therapists, and maybe ones that go through skype so that I can get on with my transition even though I'll be in Montana and I'm broke?

Also, does anybody know if my parents need to be involved in getting a therapist at all? I'm 17 and will be paying myself, but I don't know how that works.

Thanks guys

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With your parents, I'm 95% certain that they don't need to be involved if you don't want them to.

With the main question, have you checked sites like PsychologyToday, Laura's Playground, DrBecky, or Susans to see if other therapists that work with a sliding scale popped up? If no, look into that a bit more. If you have, there are therapists who I've been told can work with clients through Skype. Unfortunately, I don't know of their names specifically. If I find them, I'll let you know.

I don't know if this is helpful since you're going to Montana soon, but the Youtuber Dara Hoffman-Fox is a gender therapist who makes videos on trans related subjects and topics and she practices within Colorado. She has a website and I'm sure you could reach out to her from there and see if Skype sessions are possible. I'll drop a link to her website and the GIC of Colorado as well for additional information.

Dara Hoffman-Fox - Licensed Professional Counselor & Gender Therapist

https://www.youtube.com/user/darahoffmanfox/videos

https://gic-colorado.org/

As far as other researches go, I'll drop a link below for the Gender Expansion Project which has a listing for therapists, counselors, and other trans friendly professionals within Montana.

GEP Resources & Resource Publications | Gender Expansion Project