1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things you wish you'd known about HRT

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Maddy, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heya, my girlfriend is a trans woman who's getting the ball rolling on starting HRT. I was wondering if any of you lovely people who've been there think there's anything important we should know? I know she'll be told the medical side of things in great detail, but did anything surprise you or was there anything you wish you'd known but didn't? Thanks so much :slight_smile:

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That various complications can lead to stroke and blood clots...

That shit scared me off of getting on hormones yet.

3. KayJay

Any good doctor will basically explain every thing you will need to know.

There is one thing I can think to mention and it may or may not apply to your girlfriend. Obviously HRT usually lowers libido a lot, which can potentially mean less sex/masturbation. "Use it or lose it" is essentially what happens after enough time on HRT. The loss of libido and (potentially) dysphoria combined can make it hard to maintain any sort of sexual activity. If that happens the chances of loss of functionality beyond sterility is more likely. It is also different for each individual, some may always keep functionality regardless of use.

Again that may not apply to your girlfriend but I figure it was worth mentioning as it could be important to some people.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I probably won't be helpful since I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum, but the only thing that I didn't expect was that I'd experience more depressive episodes as opposed to other transguys who said they either became quicker to anger or were totally relaxed and more calm. This is probably a coincidence since I have underlying mental health issues, but who knows.

5. smokey-knows-all

in my experience nobody will tell you whats gona happen to your shape and where fat goes. everybody i asked fucking refused to tell me