1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hospital Question for those living "Out"

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Leifa, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Leifa

So I was admitted the E.R. last night (I'm fine, for anyone who cares :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). But when I had to get changed and exams and all that...it really made me uncomfortable and feel somewhat invalidated... when I first got in it, emotionally, felt alright... I got asked a ton of "female only questions" but obviously had to say I was transitioning... and that just made me feel really bad and dysphoric.

On the flip side people who didn't see my chart or whatever would still address me as "Miss" even when I was just in the hospital gown but... talking to the staff who needed to know was pretty distressing. I don't feel that way with my endocrinologist but I don't like seeing other Doctors.

So for anyone "out" and living as you...how to you deal with this?

2. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well... As long as you are being treated okay and fairly and the staff weren't being invalidating. I think you mostly just have to grit your teeth and bear it. It's dysphoria like any other. And is hard, big-time.
    I'm glad you're okay though.