1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Expression questions

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MidnightStar, Aug 12, 2015.

1. MidnightStar

Out Status:
    A few people
    First off I feel like people should know its not my first time getting my hair cut short. But it is the first time that I've forgotten it the style that I've always wanted. Since growing up I was never able to express myself until I was 18 years old last year I just began collecting clothes that I enjoyed wearing. Lost my clothes throughout the years have always then very gender neutral shirts.

And went into a recent obsession of plaid, that eventually changed into me wanting to wear something beyond the neutral. I started wearing muscle shirts and I am very comfortable wearing them and extremely happy. Normally I tell people that I don't mind being called he/her I never liked being called a man or a woman though, I never liked being called male or female either.

I hated being called she or him but suddenly I've been wanting to be called him or he and sometimes like always I won't mind somebody calling me her. It's weird because and started with my hair being changed to the style I liked and wanted, that's when everything started increasing with more masculine feelings and even "a large dysphoria episode". I think the clothing and expressing myself has brought this out except for some reason its showing up way more obvious now that I have done things that I've always wanted to do like exploring my style a little more even though I haven't explored it very much, and same with the hair.

Is it weird to say that suddenly this expression of myself has started to bring out my inner feelings and emotions on my gender? It feels like I'm way behind everybody else 21 years old simply because I was never allowed to express myself in the clothing and styles I've always wanted to. So if some of the questions I ask are strange or even behind what my age would know. it's probably because they are.

#1 MidnightStar, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  2. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, not weird at all, I think. Experimentation with how we present ourselves can really help reveal to us how we feel. Your age doesn't affect it at all. I was pretty restricted in terms of expressing myself as well when I was younger. I still am, but I just do it when nobody's around :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You're not really behind anyone else either.. A lot of people don't start exploring/discovering their emotions on gender until they're a lot older.

3. Kvothe

I can totally relate! I'm 29 and just now discovering my gender. For me it kickstarted when cosplaying (male) Rabbit, from Steam Powered Giraffe. I got perceived as a man, and only then realised how much I love that, and how much I love the masculine part in me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Right now I'm trying to figure out if I'm transgender or genderfluid... I don't know.
    But dressing up in mens fashion has taught me a lot about myself, and I must admit it makes me feel strong and confident.
    What I find the hardest part is trying to find a haircut that can be styled both masculine and feminine, depending on how I feel that day. Any tips are welcome. :slight_smile: