1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible I'm gender fluid??

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by suchconfusion, Aug 15, 2015.

1. suchconfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey!! So, I've never really thought about my gender identity much until now. I've always considered myself female, but a comment from a friend made me wonder about myself. And please forgive my ignorance, because I don't know what being genderfluid or gender queer, or agender constitutes very well.

Anyway, I've always considered myself female. I don't feel the urge to be in a male body, or to be identified as male. I'm quite comfortable in my skin. However, I'm characteristically very tomboyish and I rarely feel a urge to dress "like a girl". Occasionally, I'll throw on a dress, but I dress androgynously b/c that's what I like. In my head, when I picture how I want to present myself to people, in my hair and my face and how I dress, I see someone who looks like a boy or someone androgynous. I have almost all female friends bc I used to be very nervous around guys for some reason, so I'm not used to being around them. But I'm very tomboyish and and I like to look male, despite liking my female body. Its to the point where I want a chest binder or I use sports bras to flatten my chest because I like looking masc. I also have occasional thoughts of wanting to be a guy, but I don't think it means anything bc of how rare it is.

Is it just me, trying to emulate the type of people I'm attracted to, or is it maybe because I have it ingrained in me that I think males are stronger or something (how I grew up ish)? Or am I actually gender fluid? I haven't really grown up around guys for their influence to rub off on me.

Honestly, I don't think I am but I also want a peace of mind, because I've been thinking about it a lot recently. It would actually make some sense. Do I have to feel like I want to be in a male body to be gender fluid??? Thanks again :lol:

2. levi2000

Hey!

Don't stress too much over labeling yourself. Figure out how you feel first! If you find comfort in labels, you can call yourself "genderqueer" until you find something that fits you.

Wanting a body change in trans people is called dysphoria, but not all trans people experience it. You don't need dysphoria to be genderfluid.

Being genderfluid means that you fluctuate between two or more genders. It's possible that you are fluid if some days you feel androgynous, and some days you feel male.

It's also possible that you are libramasculine or librafluid.
    Libramasculine: you are agender, but feel a connection to masculinity
    Librafluid: you are agender, but fluctuate between having a connection between two or more genders (in your case, it sounds like male and androgyne)

I hope I could help! Feel free to message me if you have more questions.

Good luck in identifying yourself!

**quick note:
    Please try to avoid the phrase "male body" when referring to bodies with a penis, because this enforces the idea that your body determines your gender. Instead, use "amab", or "assigned male at birth". I don't mean to be rude by correcting you; I just want to avoid amab trans people getting offended. Thanks! :slight_smile:

3. Acm

Acm Guest

Being tomboyish and wanting to dress and appear masculine is more related to gender roles and gender expression than it is gender identity. If you don't think you are, then I wouldn't stress over it.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is also a chance that you could have days where you have a more feminine gender expression and days where you have a more male gender expression. Gender expression and gender are 2 separate things, so this is a possibility as well. I agree that you should not rush to label yourself. Take some time, map your feelings and then go from there.

5. suchconfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ah thanks you guys :> True, I could just have uncommon gender expression.

---------- Post added 15th Aug 2015 at 08:33 PM ----------

True, I can't edit on mobile. I'm sorry about saying "male body", I did indeed mean amab, but I unconsciously wrote male body. I try to use correct terms but I don't always catch myself :frowning2:

---------- Post added 15th Aug 2015 at 08:41 PM ----------

I'm sorry, I really am not very understanding of gender because I kind of muddle it up sometimes. But how can I tell if I have unconventional gender expression vs being agender or something of the sort? Because I feel like it could just be external forces making me want to dress masc, which could be gender expression? Or i could actually be agender and I lean towards "female" because thats how I've lived most my life but I express other genders in how I present myself to people? Honestly, I'm just very confused and I wanna talk ab it to someone :< and I'm sorry if I say something offensive by accident, very sorry, just point it out to me