1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety about senior picture

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Acm, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Acm

Acm Guest

I have to go get my senior portrait done today. My only two options are to either wear the black dress thing that they give you, or wear a very tight, feminine sweater that my mom lent me. Both options make me feel very dysphoric and uncomfortable, I'm having a ton of anxiety over it, I feel kind of sick just thinking about it. I have to do it though, otherwise I won't be in the yearbook, and everyone will probably ask about it, plus I don't want to let my family down since I know they'll want me to get my picture done. There doesn't really seem to be a way out, so I don't know what the point of this thread is. I just hope it's over fast I guess :frowning2:

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aw, I'm sorry you have to go through that. Maybe you can style your hair in a masculine way for the picture? I'm actually in a similar situation, I'm going to have to wear a fancy dress thing for orchestra. Wish there was some gender-neutral option... And there's no way in hell my parents are buying a tuxedo. Why does the world have to see gender in black and white? (*hug*)

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I hate being trans so much :bang: I'm probably just going to wear the dress they give you (I know it's not an actual dress, but still), I don't even think I can wear my binder with it though. I really don't want to do it, but I want to be in the yearbook and I don't want people to ask me why I didn't do it (my grandparents love stuff like this, they'll be upset probably)

4. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Lol I remember feeling this way about taking senior portraits. They said to look "formal" like wear a nice dress shirt or dress. But I didn't do it. I just went there with regular clothes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. MetalRice

I'm sorry you have to deal with that; hopefully it's quick and painless.

6. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry they're giving you grief. Most year books end up in piles in the basement/attic or under peoples beds anyways :lol:

7. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm really sorry you are faced with this dilemma. Maybe masculine hair or other ways to express yourself as yourself might help? After all, it's just a photo, really, and it's terrible you have to do this just for a photo.

8. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, my mom badgered me about getting a senior picture done. But somehow I managed to wiggle out of it and she forgot (well not exactly true, but other stuff happened and we couldn't afford/acquire photos). Plus I protested and told her I didn't want any senior pictures anyway.

Very sorry you've got to go through this, bro. Hopefully it ends quick and painlessly and you can go back to wearing what you like after.