1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College doesn't let trans students have roommates

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by queermeerkat, Aug 22, 2015.

1. queermeerkat

queermeerkat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    My college-as I've just found out-doesn't let transgender students room with Anyone, their assigned gender, their real gender or anything. All the people I've talked to agree with this, saying "but there are ppl who would pretend to be trans to room with another gender" and another said they should only be able to have a roommate if they've had SRS. I know this is super transphobic and personally hurts me hearing my friends (who don't know I'm trans) say that, but I don't know how to explain to them that this is terrible, and it just sucks because I had ideas about maybe coming out :/

2. AndySammy

AndySammy Guest

That sounds absolutely transphobic and unfair to me too.
    I'm in a similliar situation with me going to a boarding school next year. They're divided into girls and boys everything too, and I'm not out to my dad and my mum is unsupportive, and, as your situation, they're not allowing transpeople anything.
    I feel bad for you, it's really not fair to let everything rely on SRS. I mean, isn't it what's inside that matters?

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'm going to take another approach to this...

It's obvious that there are some issues with all of this, but look at the positive: you could room by yourself. That means more privacy, less distractions, and in college this is a major advantage. I think, anyway.

Unless you're implying that, unless they have had the appropriate surgery, they'll have to pick one or the other...

#3 Kaiser, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ person above I agree

I kind went "a room to myself, sweet!"
    But at the same time it is pretty phobic of them.
    At the same time as that they are trying to acknowledge trans people but make the majority of the student body happy as well.

5. queermeerkat

queermeerkat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I love having a roommate, it keeps me social, and being basically quarantined to a separate private room away from all the normal safe cis folk, it makes me want to find whoever decided that and fucking punch them in their truscum and transphobic faces

6. MidnightStar

Out Status:
    A few people
    I almost skipped past this because I don't know much about collages or gender beyond my own but I know a little. And to think a collage would do that to someone actually really bothers me it's transphobic and ignorant. Can you file a report on that? that's just horrible D:

7. Foz

Foz Guest

Personally I value my privacy (or in short I masterbate ALOT :roflmao:slight_smile: but I think everyone should be allowed that choice and I just don't buy these arguments of what could possibly happen as it's just based on a totally inept opinion without any factual basis.

There was an organisation I used to be involved with who would stop gay youths from sharing a room if they came out and the reasoning was to avoid any sexual assaults, really, who do these people think they are? Because straight cis people have never committed a crime...