1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chest Binder Advice?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by YesHomo, Aug 24, 2015.

1. YesHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been wanting to acquire a chest binder for awhile now. I'm not trans, I just really don't like my boobs. I'm only a B cup now but I just want them to go away. Does anyone have any binding tips? I have a few specific questions. :help:

1) Do they hurt while wearing them? :bang:
    2) On a hot day, is it really nasty and sweaty? (how bad is it?) :***:
    3) How and how often should I wash it? :eusa_doh:
    4) Where can I get one without my parents knowing? :eusa_liar
    5) How many hours should you wear a binder. I only want to wear it to school...so can I?
    6) Can they be seen through shirts? :icon_redf
    7) Does it hurt to run in one? (I have gym class) :confused:

Thanks! (*hug*)

2. Acm

Acm Guest

1. They can feel uncomfortable when first wearing them, but they shouldn't hurt.
    2. Yeah it does get pretty uncomfortable and sweaty :icon_sad:
    3. It probably depends on how often and how long you wear it, especially if you're sweating in it a lot or not.
    4. What exactly is the part you need to hide from your parents, is it when you receive a package, buying it (credit card charges), etc?
    5. About 8 hours is what I've heard.
    6. Maybe if you have a thin material white shirt...I've never had that problem though.
    7. You're not supposed to exercise in them, if you wear it to school you should probably change into a sports bra or something similar for gym.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you have a good binder, then they should not hurt when you wear it. If it does, you could be too tight, or you could be wearing it too long. It can get pretty hot, depending on what type you have. I invested in one that is made with a lighter weight breathable material, so it is not as hot. I usually wash my binders once a week. I wash them in the washer, without fabric softener, and then let them air dry. When you first start binding, you will not be able to wear it as long. This is because you have to let your body get used to it. With some time, you should be able to wear it for a school day. If they can been seen through shirts really depends on the material of the shirt and the binder. I have some that you could see it, so I had to wear undershirts. I would suggest wearing a sports bra for gym, because binders can get hot, and you don't want to end up with a heat related injury.

4. YesHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I need to hide the package. I come home earlier then them on weekdays, but the problem is if it comes on the weekend.

---------- Post added 24th Aug 2015 at 06:08 PM ----------

Noted! I'll bring an extra sports bra on gym days. And i'm gonna try to get a lighter binder. Thanks For All Your Help!

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is there a friend or family member that you could have the package delivered to? Also, you may be able to get away with saying that it is a shirt or something like that.

6. levi2000

1) Do they hurt while wearing them? - No, unless they are too small. If you experience any kind of pain while wearing a binder, take it off immediately. It can definitely hurt you or permanently change your ribs/chest.
    2) On a hot day, is it really nasty and sweaty? (how bad is it?) It's not too bad, but yes, it does get really sweaty.
    3) How and how often should I wash it? Lots of binders are different, so follow the instructions on the tag to find out how to wash it. But, wash it as often as you would a bra or a sports bra.
    4) Where can I get one without my parents knowing? A package probably won't come on weekends because most businesses only ship on business days. But i would check the place you are buying the binder from.
    5) How many hours should you wear a binder. I only want to wear it to school...so can I? You can wear it to school, but you will have to wait a week. The first day, wear your binder for one hour. Then increase the length you wear it by one hour each day (or you can stretch this out if it makes you more comfortable). Never sleep in your binder or wear it for more than eight hours.
    6) Can they be seen through shirts? Only through light or sheer shirts.
    7) Does it hurt to run in one? (I have gym class) No, unless it is too small. You should be able to breathe in fully and easily while wearing your binder. But I would recommend that you wear a sports bra for exercising, because it will be more comfortable and less sweaty.

Again: NEVER wear a binder that is too small. I don't mean to scare you, but binding has to be done right, or it's unsafe and can severely injure you. Just be careful, get the right size, and don't wear it for too long.

#6 levi2000, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  7. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My two cents on #7 (everyone else has all the other questions thoroughly covered, haha) - I totally agree that you shouldn't exercise in a binder! Underworks do make a sports bra/light binder combo, though, and although it doesn't flatten as effectively as an actual binder I've heard it's a great option.

8. cianpc

Out Status:
    A few people
    1) After getting use to them wearing one should not hurt. If it does hurt take it off and dont put it on for at least a day if possible. It's VERY important to listen to your body. If you dont you can break a rib and you wont be able to bind for a long time.
    2) Yes, it can get very sweaty. I would recommend getting a half tank rather than a full. They're cheaper too so thats a bonus!
    3)As often as you can. Once every two weeks should be good but just wash it if it starts to smell before that.
    4)If you can afford one, you can try shipping it to a friends house of an understanding family member. If not there are a few services that get free binders to trans youth in need. You could look into that.
    5)No longer than 8 hours. But again if it hurts before that take it off right away. You, again, can seriously hurt yourself if you do not.
    6) it really depends... Thin shirts or low cut shirts, yes. Regular t-shirts or shirts that cover the binder, no. They aren't bulky surprisingly so you should be fine.
    7) DO NOT EXERCISE IN A BINDER. It can seriously seriously hurt you. Instead when you need to exercise wear one sports bra normally and then another backwards so the band presses your chest down. Since you're a b cup that should cover them pretty well while keeping you safe.

Good luck getting your binder (*hug*)

9. Romin

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I personally am an A cup and use Underworks for my binders.

1. They can be uncomfortable at times, but since you have a fairly small chest to begin with, you can opt for a slightly looser fit and still get the binding you want. I could fit into a small, but go with a medium because my chest is flat with the larger size.
    2. Yes, they can be quite sweaty and nasty on very hot days. I live in a place with dry heat in the summer, and I definitely can feel the area my binder covers overheating way faster than the rest of my body. It depends on what material it is made of, but that's my experience.
    3. Mine are made of a surgical-type mesh, so I wash them with my other clothes about once every two or three wears. I don't put them in the dryer, because I feel like the heat may loosen them a bit, but I don't really know.
    4. If you have a debit card or credit card, you can buy them online easy peasy. They're delivered in discreet packaging and you can take them to your room and open them there. If you don't have card, I'm not sure where you could get them in person...
    5. When you first start, try going 2-3 hours at a time, then after a week or so, or when you are comfortable, you can increase it by a couple hours at a time. Make sure you are comfortable and if your back starts aching or you have trouble breathing, TAKE IT OFF IMMEDIATELY. When I first started binding, I carried a sports bra in my backpack with me everywhere I went just in case I had an emergency situation where I needed it off right away.
    6. Yes and no, sometimes they can be seen through shirts. If you have a dark binder with a light shirt, it is very visible, but there are white and apricot coloured ones that can be less obvious if need be. Dark shirts shouldn't be a problem unless they are tight around your torso. The binder may end above your bellybutton, or may bunch up and if your shirt is tight in that area, it will definitely be visible.
    7. Please, please please don't work out in a binder. It isn't safe at all. I use a sports bra and a baggy tshirt. Your lungs will thank you.

10. KaelTail

As far as hiding the binder from your parents, take some comfort in that most parents don't know what a binder is. It would be really easy to say "Oh, it's this super-comfy sports bra I found online and I wanted to try it" if they ask, or "it's for a costume/cosplay idea I have". It's not something as obvious as a packer, for instance. Most girls already wear something covering their chests, so most parents don't automatically assume anything weird is going on.

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. No, they don't. They can feel uncomfortable at first, but that goes away--assuming you got the right size for you.

2. For me, most days I'm fine and I'm alright. Other times I'm drenched in sweat and it's a little gross, but not awful.

3. I say it depends on how sweaty it gets or what have you. I try to wash mine once every week or two, assuming I even wear it at all.

4. If you're worried about the package, it's totally discreet. If you need to, can you get it sent to a friend's house for them to hold onto it for you?

5. 8 hours is typically the recommended max that you have it on to avoid straining yourself or injury.

6. Nope, at least not on my experience.

7. I highly recommend you don't work out in a binder. It could restrict your breathing and result in you getting hurt. If you're able to, tight fitting sports bras might be the way to go for that.