1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Your Name Without Being Transgender

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Romin, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Romin

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I identify as mostly cis female. But I present as masculine of center, or butch. My birth name is quite feminine. While I don't mind that name, I want to change it to something more masculine to better fit my identity. I'm not thinking about legally changing it, but just having it as a "nickname" I guess.

Problem is, I've never gone by a nickname, and neither has anyone I know. I don't care if my friends and family want to call me by my birth name, but when I go to college next year, I hope to begin introducing myself with my chosen name. I'm kind of nervous because I'm not sure how people will react to me, and I don't know if the more masculine name will perpetuate the idea that I'm male, which I get mistaken for regularly already.

I was wondering if anyone has similar experiences, or has any helpful advice they'd be willing to share? Thank you guys :eusa_danc

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, there are women out there who go by the name James. See James King for example. Then I've seen Charles as a name. And both of these women are feminine cisgender.

And I've personally taught an Evan and an Elliot.