1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being eccentric

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by conkypingle, Aug 29, 2015.

1. conkypingle

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I may or may not be gay, I think I am bicurious, but I am wondering how people express themselves in the 'normal' world. I have never fit in anywhere and I think it's because I'm so eccentric. Not flamboyant exactly - just very well read and very aloof.

I guess I feel like a child most of the time. I avoided all the social programming in school and I am like the same person I was in kindergarten. Lol. I don't know if this makes sense.

Maybe I'm just artsy. I've spent my life trying to act straight but I really don't know how to be myself...

2. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just be you. Express yourself as you are, whatever feels normal to you. And don't let anyone tell you how to act or who you are. Eccentric people are always the most interesting. Take it from someone who also has never fit in. Life becomes so much easier and more worth living when you don't try to conform to what everyone wants you to be.

Not sure if this helps, but that's my advice, anyways. :slight_smile:

3. livvee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi conkypingle and ThatBorussenGuy, interesting and great comments by you both. I have been thinking about how do you find your tribe when you not only sit outside of society in terms of sexuality but also in terms of social nuance being eccentric. It can be very isolating, even though i have lovely friends they arent eccentric so socially they dont have the same feelings of isolation when it comes to social expression and engagement with others. Which is where i think how you see it borussen is important because i fell like i can get so caught up being anxious about my difference this effects my ability to connect, so just be your self is great advice :slight_smile:
    I would have to day that getting to the point where i was able to see that the anxiety of being on the outer fed isolation was very helpful as for me it removed me from being in my head and anxious to relaxing and being able to interact with others.It may seem obvious and straight forward but i guess thats not what everyones experience is like.

Thanks and i hope your both doing well and if not come chat it out :slight_smile:

4. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    everyone is eccentric in their own ways, but most try to fit in with what they perceive as being 'normal'. Most people are trying to act in a way that will make them fit in with others, but if almost everyone is doing this then...everyone is different. There is no normal, because everyone is different. So how can you define what is normal anyway? Try working on being more relaxed about how you are acting and try to not really think about it. Then you will subconsciously start to be more like yourself and that'll make you happier overall. :slight_smile:

#4 jaska, Aug 13, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2016