1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how many have gone to therapy?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ebda30, Aug 30, 2015.

1. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    Wondering how many of you have gone to therapy to figure out you're gender identity, or did you just know, our figured it out for yourself?

2. randomconnorcon

I figured out my gender myself. It's the only way I would have accepted myself, I think. Because I already have to start therapy for other things, so I didn't want someone else telling me who and what I am. It wouldn't have helped me. Now that I know who I am, I will be able to go to my doctor and talk about being referred to a gender therapist and they can help me with things I want to do during my transition.

I know some people may need help and talk to someone about their gender, it can be a very confusing time and a gender therapist can be exactly who they're looking for, but it wasn't for me. I had friends to talk to and even then it was after I had a good idea of myself.

3. jewell

I think alot of people already know by the time they go to therapy and just want validation.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea I figured it out myself but I go to therapy to discuss feelings and how to deal with coming out and how to cope with triggers and such.

5. Acm

Acm Guest

I figured it out myself. There aren't any gender therapists in my area anyways.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was aware of my gender identity long before I went to therapy. I seeked out a gender therapist to help me get my letters together so I could start my transition medically, and it helped that the person I've seen specializes in other things as well, so I had someone to lean on for mental health support.

7. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    Are gender therapists common?

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No

9. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually went to a "regular" therapist at my uni's student health center--I was experiencing what I was pretty certain was dysphoria, so I made an appointment to talk about it. The therapist knew it was about gender issues, and was apparently the most qualified one at my uni. Though, turns out, she doesn't have much experience with it, and is not actually specialized in LGBT issues. Her input has been of limited value (since she doesn't really know much about transgenderism or dysphoria), but the support is nice, as is having someone to bounce my thoughts off of. She at least reassured me that I'm not going crazy, and that it's highly unlikely it's "all in my head." Might see if she can refer me to a qualified gender therapist.

10. Posthuman666

I was dealing with depression and anxiety from my gender issues, but I wouldnt have admitted it, when I started seeing my current therapist. He is not a gender therapist, but he is still good at what he does. Ive been in therapy for the past 8 years, but only seeing this one for about 2 years.

11. ebda30

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've dealt with depression and anxiety most my life, now trying to determine if the gender/sexuality issues are related.

I found a few therapists, i.dont think.I can figure this out myself. I even.found one that specializes in LGBT and non binary stuffs, just not sure she takes my insurance yet.

12. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This was me. I knew already, but my therapist (well, my current one) helped me understand just how big a part my dysphoria was playing in my depression and gave me the support I needed to do more social transitioning. :slight_smile: She's great

13. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had mostly figured it out, but going to a therapist made me certain.

14. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After today, I can say that my therapist is extremely helpful when I'm fully honest about how I'm feeling. She helped me see just how much the gender stuff is hurting me--most, if not all of the anxiety and depression I experience is probably rooted in the nonstop assault on my brain from my body and the rest of my brain.

15. Thessa Blossom

As long as I can remember my attitude towards life was mostly on the negative side.
    Last year we lost three family members and one was my father, this events and some other issues have plunged me into a severe depression with panic attacks.
    I finally started to face my gender demons and after struggling alone for month I search for a therapist.

On my first try I was lucky to find a nice therapist.
    It is such a huge relive to have someone to talk without any restraint.
    In fact she is the only person that knows almost everything about my gender issues and my sexuality.

So for me it is worth every penny to go to therapy.
    Apart from that it is a prerequisite that social security is covering the cost for HRT.

16. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I figured it out myself, though I do want to go to therapy soon for someone to talk to, maybe after that I'll mention it to my parents (if not sooner).

17. Jellal

I figured it out myself, then went to see a therapist, as some of the other people here have said, for validation—and partially to figure out what steps I should take next.

I haven't been to a therapist for months now, but for the most part ... I feel okay? Better than I used to feel, because the friends I came out to are still my friends. And my family hasn't disowned me.

But I think it was good that I went to therapy when I did, even if I am a bit lost at the moment.

18. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I figured it out on my own. I want to see a therapist though. For validation, like others have said, and because I believe there are steps in transitioning for a reason.

And, no, gender therapist are not common. I know of two in my state and both are a little ways away from me.

#18 Matto_Corvo, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Figured it out on my own, with some eureka moments courtesy of life.

Talked to a small number of individuals about it, and I am currently in the process of getting on the road to transitioning. There are some delays, but I keep pushing forward, I have to or else everything will stall out. Trans-issues don't seem to have the same type of urgency as, say, depression or personality disorders.

It took a bit of persistence and a little charm to get a gender therapist, but I have one that is kind of seeing me. They're just so swamped with work, but you have to take what you can get, because they are really instrumental in transitioning.

20. Stacy in MA

Like many of the others, I basically figured it out on my own and then went to see a gender therapist - both to talk it through and to figure out how to deal with practical things. I have found it really helpful for me, but unfortunately I haven't been able to go in a while and am anxious for my next appointment.