1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this offensive?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Alex Vause, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Alex Vause

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, so this question might be ridiculous, but are butch lesbians offensive to dudes who are Trans?

I saw 1 post about it on tumblr and it didn't have many notes, so I wasn't sure and I just don't want to offend anyone.

Please be honest with me, I really don't want to upset anyone!

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can't offend someone just because you are who you are. Don't worry about it.

Also, be careful with Tumblr. There is great content there, but you will also find lots of false information and people fighting for stupid reasons.

3. FootballFan101

NO. Trans guys of all people will understand that you just want to be you

4. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly.

5. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, just like men wearing dresses is not offensive to trans women.

6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I won't be offended if someone is a butch lesbian. Its who they are and they are awesome.

Tumblr can be a good place but lately it has been spewing a lot of nonsense. Always take things there with a grain of salt.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I don't even need to read anymore.

I'm sure somebody, somewhere, is offended by a butch lesbian. But I am also sure that waaaaaaay more couldn't care less; they have other things to do, like, you know, not being an asshat on Tumblr.

Rule of thumb with Tumblr. Anything you read, assume it's just the individual posting/sharing it that believes it, along with whoever produced the content. It isn't a Bible, but some folks are treating it as such. It could be something nice, but then someone has to come along and crash the party, ruining it for the rest of us...

Then again, Tumblr has people who threaten suicide if you don't address them by their preferred pronoun of...

Sprout.

Yes, they promote their gender as 'Plant'.

True story, yo. Tumblr be crazy.

8. Acm

Acm Guest

No it's not offensive at all. Try not to take things on tumblr very seriously. They get offended at everything, and there's a lot of misinformation about trans (and other LGBT) stuff on there.

9. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    It's not intrinsically offensive.
    It also works in the opposite direction with feminine gay guys. I'm not offended by them.
    I'm offended when people equate trans women and feminine gay guys, and maybe also drag queens. But that's not a fault of those gay men or drag queens, it's a fault of society.

#9 Invidia, Aug 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do butch lesbians offend me? No. Does being compared to a butch lesbian offend me? Yes.

11. Romin

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would hope that I don't offend anyone by being true to myself. Especially someone in the Lgbt+ community where we've all fought so hard to do just that.

I am friends with many trans* people of different genders, and they all seem fine with me.

If, however, a fellow butch lesbian is treating a trans man like 'less than' or vice versa, then we have a problem. But if there is mutual respect among them, as it is with any relationship or acquaintance, nothing should be wrong on either side.

In the end, if someone has a problem with me being who I am, it's them that needs to check themselves, not me.

12. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is that something they're legitimately saying on tumblr these days? Maaaan, am I glad I took a hiatus! It was bad enough when I left, it's only been a week!

The answer, of course (and as everyone is saying) is hell nope. Sure, it's offensive if people treat the two like the same thing (not that there aren't trans butches out there, I know the line between butch masculinity and transmasculinity blurs for some individuals out there and there are people who identify as both butch and trans. But a trans man is a man and a butch woman is a woman).

But butchness being offensive in and of itself? Goodness, no. People can present themselves however they want, and however feels right for them.

13. Alex Vause

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you all for your input! Yeah, I was really skeptical when I saw the post, but just wanted to double check anyway. Thanks again. :slight_smile:

14. VacantPlanets

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just so you're not trying to label one as the other, or reduce one to the other, but if you mean the simple fact that butch girls exist? Nope...just facts of life, just like feminine gay men, I don't care that they exist. As a matter of fact they're so cuddly <3