1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to teacher

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by InfinityonHigh, Sep 2, 2015.

1. InfinityonHigh

Ok so here's my situation:
    This year I'm planning on coming out to my teacher/s so they could use the right name and pronouns and I'm thinking of writing an email to come out to my home room teacher since she'll be the one that I'll interact with most of the time. Problem being that I really have no idea how I'm going to phrase this email or what to and not to put in the email. Like I'm really wondering if I should explain my whole story about being trans (well not whole story) or explain what being trans means. Or like, should I link some trans resources and stuff, and possibly mention the no-discrimination laws in my state. My school is starting soon so I hope to send this email asap. Btw I go to a virtual school.

If someone came out to their teacher by email before then maybe you could like, give me an idea of how to write it?

I hope this makes sense

---------- Post added 2nd Sep 2015 at 03:19 PM ----------

Whoops, I posted this in the wrong place, how can I move it?

2. rolling orange

Out Status:
    Some people
    I did this once. I just politely said that I wished to be referred to as my new name, with these pronouns. I mentioned that I was trans but I didn't explain it.

3. InfinityonHigh

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If the teacher is at all professional, despite their beliefs they need to respect your choice.

The only openly trans student in my school everyone calls him by his name. Sadly for professional reasons I can't tell him how much I know and that its ok little brother, I know.
    And I have him in class this year...

#4 Kasey, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  5. InfinityonHigh

Alright, I'll keep that in mind