1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling more authentic

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by hii, Sep 3, 2015.

1. hii

hii

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been doing a lot of social transitioning and it's been great. :slight_smile:

When I was still presenting as female, I felt like no-one could see who I really was. I wasn't aware of my gender dysphoria at the time and I didn't even know who I really was. I was just putting on a mask of who other people seemed to want me to be; the super smart, super shy girl. It was kind of ridiculous how much of a façade it was actually, and I didn't like who I "was" but I didn't know any other way. I felt completely isolated. My therapist thinks this is a large part of what lead to my depression.

Now, I know who I am. :icon_bigg Not just that I'm a guy, but who I am in many ways. Now I'm not always thinking about what other people want me to say and do, but what I want to say and do, and I have a sense of confidence that I never had before.

I'm actually more comfortable expressing my femininity than before as well, because I'm not worried about it making people think I'm a girl.

This year at school I'm going to be going by my new name, Eric, and male pronouns, and I'm really excited.

I thought this would be encouraging for people who are experiencing setbacks while transitioning. (*hug*)

Also , if anyone has had any similar experiences, I'd love to hear them.

2. rolling orange

Out Status:
    Some people
    That's so great to hear! I've been experienced something similar. Since I've started socially transitioning I feel like I can express myself more freely.

3. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome! Glad it's going well!

I'm going by my preferred name this year (largely because one of my profs keeps introducing me to people by that name, though she's not aware of my trans status), and it's awesome! I also wore my binder to class for the first time yesterday, and it was pretty great. :slight_smile:

#3 FrereApothicair, Sep 3, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2015