1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LuciaLukie, Sep 7, 2015.

1. LuciaLukie

LuciaLukie Guest

So, first college induction day was yesterday. I must've looked like I was actually attached to my sister, because I clung to her in a effort to look social but avoid people I don't know all day (well, we were in the same groups, the rest of the time I just hid in the corner.) But that was okay, the only bits were that all the tutors called me by my birth name, and that's the name that's on my student pass and stuff, so I had to use that name....grr.

Still, not toooooo bad for a first induction day. I start properly next week...I'm scared...

2. PossumJack

Aw, that must have sucked, I'm sorry :frowning2: Still, you got through induction day (which I'm guessing is student orientation)!

Have you considered telling your tutors that you would prefer to go by your chosen name? My first day of college is still 4 days ahead of me, but I sent an email to all my professors explaining that I'm <birthname> on their roster and would prefer to go by Jack instead. I don't know if you're planning to come out in college or not, but usually professors are pretty cool about this sort of stuff and it would probably make your college experience much, much easier.

#2 PossumJack, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  3. LuciaLukie

LuciaLukie Guest

Yeah. Still, I'm okay.

I'm not planning to come out at college, since I'm not even out to my parents yet, not I could talk to them I guess, it would make things easier, but I'll probably wait a little while I look at my options and how open and LGTB friendly my college is, first.

Thanks for the support and advice though! Hope everything goes okay when you start college.