1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gender dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Acuba403, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Acuba403

I've heard the term gender dysphoria tossed around a few times and I get the general idea of it but I was wondering if anyone could give me a better idea of what it really means?

#1 Acuba403, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  2. InfinityonHigh

Gender dysphoria is the medical term used in the DSM-V to describe someone that experiences distress (or most often describes as dysphoria) when being seen as their assigned gender or having physical characteristics that are most commonly associated with their assigned gender.
    if you need to medically transition, you will most likely need to be diagnosed with gender dysphoria to get a referral for surgeries or hormones.
    You don't need the diagnosis to be trans, you're trans as long as you identify as a gender other than your assigned one.
    (in case you're wondering, i didn't copy and paste what i just said, this is just basically all i know)

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Good explanation above^

There are different kind of dysphoria

Social dysphoria is if people in public or so see you another gender than what you see yourself as and and you feel discomfort or a bit of sadness or so.

Body dyphoria is when trans people don't like their parts and sex characteristics and feel uncomfortable or might panic etc.

4. Acuba403

Thank you very much.(*hug*)