1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Please Needed ASAP Regarding Name Change

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Lisa1, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Lisa1

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi, new member, sorry for jumping right into this if that's rude but I'm kinda signing up right now because I'm absolutely stumped on what to write in my letter explaining why I'm changing my name that I need to write for the government to change it. However, I'm not sure what's considered a good enough reason. How much do I write? What do I say? I'm sorry, I just don't know what to do and really need this written in the next few hours. I know, I left this to the last minute, but I thought I'd come up with something hours ago but nothing.

2. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, why are you changing your name?

3. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One big word of advice on that - simple, direct, to the point is better. They don't want to read a novel. Basically, they are wanting to make sure your intentions aren't to decieve, or avoid a big debt, or hide a criminal past...

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a couple of people who have changed their names in California. It's likely the same most anywhere. A one-line explanation is usually adequate: commonly stated and potentially applicable reasons are for religious/spiritual reasons; because you feel your new chosen name fits you better; so your name better conforms with your gender.

Unless the judge is a complete asshole, s/he isn't going to look for a reason to deny your name change, so almost anything will do. Confuzzled pretty much hit it on the head.

5. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly. I actually used to work in a courtroom that processed name changes regularly. The only times I saw the judge deny the name change was when it was a name change for a minor, and they were trying to hide the kid from the other parent, when they didn't appear for the hearing, or when they failed to have their notice published as required. And on the last one, the judge normally just adjourned it to allow for publication.

Now, for the obligatory I am NOT a lawyer, this, nor any of my other posts on this forum shall NOT be construed as legal advice.