1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name change question

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kodo, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw a different thread about this topic, which reminded me of a question I had...

Could I legally change my name to one that's masculine, even if I'm still legally viewed as female? Or do I first have to officially establish a male identity (e.g. gender markers)?

The name's Alec, so not exactly unisex either.

2. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Depends on where you live. In the USA you can basically take whatever damn name you want, no matter if it's not your gender. I've seen guys with feminine names and females with masculine names. It doesn't even matter how stupid someone wants their name to be. There's a guy who changed his name to "Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop".

I'm not even joking. This happened. That was his legal name: Beezow Doo-Doo Zopittybop-Bop-Bop arrested - CBS News

So if you're in the US, you're probably safe. Otherwise I'm not sure.

#2 ThatBorussenGuy, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  3. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    From what I understand, you can change your name to anything you want. If there were those kinds of restrictions in place, there would have to be a system for defining the gender alignment of each name, which would create problems with more abstract names, let alone names from different languages, and just generally be too much work for something so trivial.

4. Stefan

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you have the money for it and live somewhere where it's not impossible then you sure can. People get their names changed for all sorts of reasons.

#4 Stefan, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can change your name to whatever you like. Hell, there's a woman who legally changed her name to Sexy and someone from PETA who changed his name to KentuckyFriedCruelty.com (I'm not kidding).

[​IMG]

And no, you don't have to establish a male status. Getting gender markers handled can be tricky, difficult, and expensive (depending on where you are), and many get their names done before they can change other legal documents like markers. It's no biggie.

#5 Daydreamer1, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015