1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Binder help

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by peachwad, Sep 12, 2015.

1. peachwad

Out Status:
    A few people
    Okay so I wasn't really sure where to post this but I really want a binder and have no idea where to get one… I've discovered recently that I don't really like the look of my chest so I want to flatten it. I think I would just feel so much better about myself. So I need some advice on where I can get one, I don't have a credit card or anything and I don't want my parents to know, I think my mom would freak out! Also, how do you determine what size to get? I see sizes like "6 medium" "8 large" I'm not entirely sure what it means since I don't know much about binders, so if anyone has any tips or advice about them, I would appreciate it!!

2. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are quite a few places where you can get free binders - there are things like the youth binder program: FTME Free Youth Binder Program – FtM Essentials and "In A Bind" In a Bind | TransActive Gender Center

(I think both of these are still active services, at least!)

When it comes to sizes, most of the reputable sites where you can get binders (like Underworks and gc2b) have sizing guides which tell you where and how to measure yourself for a correctly fitting binder.

In the mean time, you could try doubling up on sports bras if you have any - one forwards, one backwards. I've not tried it personally, but I've seen a lot of people here and elsewhere that say it's a decent method for those who can't get a proper binder. (Underworks also do a sports bra that is designed also as a light binder, so if that's something you could slip past the radar with your mother then that might also be an option!)

3. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^ Everything you need to know.

One other option might to get a prepaid credit card.

4. Groosenator

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've used both Underworks and gc2b and I would have to recommend gc2b. They are much more comfortable and work just as good. At least with these two, the nice thing about them is that if you are casual about it, you can probably convince people that it's just an undershirt that can be used in place of a bra. Technically speaking, this isn't even wrong. You don't have to call them binders, just say it's an undershirt. If you want an idea of what they look like, look up reviews on youtube.

GC2b FTM and transgender male Chest Binders This page talks about their sizing if you are wanting to get one from them (don't assume it will be the same size if you go with another brand, each company has their own sizing system). If you need something to measure with, you can get a cloth measuring tape for a couple dollars at a craft or fabric store.

Of course, if you are going to buy online, you'll have to get a prepaid card or find a way to get money onto a PayPal account.

5. Stefan

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Check out my signature below, I'm giving away two brand new binders!
    I give away binders every one thousand subscribers! :slight_smile:

6. horrorgeek

I used one of those prepaid visa card things to buy mine online. You can get the prepaid cards at a grocery or drug store, and you can just have however much money you want loaded on it. If there's a possibility your parents might open your package or be curious about it or something, you might ask a trusted friend if you can have it sent to their house, if that's possible.
    If that won't work for you right now, I can confirm the validity of the double sports bra method; I did that for a time, and while it didn't make my chest flat, it was definitely less noticeable.
    In respect to sizing, it's super important that you don't get one that's too small, so make sure your measurements are accurate. If you fall right in the middle of two different sizes, it's probably better to get the bigger one. When mine was really new, it did chafe a little bit under my arms and certainly took some getting used to. However, if wearing your binder makes it painful or difficult to breathe or anything, you should definitely take a break.