1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this 'normal'?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by horrorgeek, Sep 13, 2015.

1. horrorgeek

Within the past year, give or take, I've been exploring and thinking a lot about my gender identity, and in doing so happened upon the term agender, which seems to fit me overwhelmingly well. Outwardly, I have always experienced some mild body dysphoria (dfab), as well as a desire to present more androgynously. Since discovering that I am agender, though, these feelings have been increasingly more intense and frustrating for me. I've been feeling quite notably uncomfortable with my breasts and wearing skirts and dresses, where I wasn't so much in the past. Is this at all heard of?
    I think it may, in part, stem from a desire to be seen by others as less feminine, but I also worry that if I suddenly start wearing a binder in public and dressing differently, people might think I'm lying about being agender.:confused2:
    Thoughts?

2. Acm

Acm Guest

I know from personal experience and from hearing lots of other people say the same thing that it seems to be pretty common for dysphoria to get worse when you realise your identity. If you're nervous about sudden wardrobe changes, you could always do it slowly.

3. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's something I've heard of as well - I had a similar thing happen to me recently, although it has died down some after the initial period of feeling really weird about my body. It might be the same for you (or not, and that's fine too).

As Max says, you don't have to dive in at all once. It's alright to take smaller steps - binding under the clothes you currently wear, for example, or gradually wearing the outfits you want to wear more often. Do whatever feels most comfortable for you. :slight_smile: