1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronouns

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AxxeMyrmidon, Sep 15, 2015.

1. AxxeMyrmidon

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I recently became friends with a non binary person at my college. And they told me that they prefer they/them pronouns. I'm really trying my best to remember that, and I haven't really needed to refer to them with their pronouns. But the few times when I did, I either forgot and called them "he" or I just used their name. I haven't really had this problem with other trans people at college, and I think it's because I'm just not used to using they/them pronouns. It's kind of new to me. Are there any ways that I could practice using their pronouns so that when I do need to I won't mess them up?

2. Kiychii

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I suppose that you could practice it in your head? In a way, think about them throughout the day, "oh, I wonder if they will be in classes today," "will I run into them in a bit?"

Just practice in your head, associating their face with the pronoun of "they" - eventually, it will catch on, because with enough repetition "they/them/their" will mostly become the default when referring to them.

I hope this helped? ^^

3. AxxeMyrmidon

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, I'll definitely try that. :slight_smile: