1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender on official paperwork?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by I AM MEOW, Sep 15, 2015.

1. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm registering for a community college, and since I identify as a guy, I really don't want to put female on the paper work, but I'm not sure if putting male would be ok...

2. Taramil

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just ask! Believe it or not, most colleges, especially if they are big name ones, are generally more accepting of the LGBTQ community. I am a trans woman and still look like a cis gendered male, even though I wear makeup and dress femalely, and they refer to me with feminine pronouns and treat me with respect in terms of how I want to be called and treated like. (I may be in the minority, I don't know. I go to a big name college so...)

3. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm registering online and I have put down one of the options in the dropbox and I'm concerned that since legally I'm stuck as female at the moment if putting male on the paperwork (especially with having to put "Catherine Michelle" as the name) would cause any problems.

4. Taramil

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you call the registration staff at your University, they should be able to answer your question. Since I don't know what your University is I can't honestly tell you which they would accept. Sadly, I started my college career before I had accepted that I was trans so I registered as a male instead of a female. That being said, if you call the University and ask they can give you a straight answer as to what is allowed on the form. Each University is different, but as I said, from my experience, Universities tend to be more accepting and accommodating of LGBTQ students/people than the rest of the general public.

5. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks! It late so I can't call right now, but the website also has several help and question answer-y services it seems.

6. AngerAndAgony

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They are looking for the legal status, which will be tough on you (it killed me during my applications) but when it really matters you can get your professors and classmates to refer to you as who you really are.

7. beanboy

A lot of legal documents are actually asking based on what hormones are in your body- so write male if you're on T but female if you're not. This is really important on medical forms because the hormones react differently with medications I think? Like you're allergic to benadryl or whatever if you don't write that and they give you benadryl it's sort of the same thing, is my understanding. But I haven't really had past experience with colleges, so it would definitely be a good idea to ask, and maybe indicate that you are trans and what you identify as vs what hormones you have, if you can. I hope I was able to help! Good luck!