1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

University Flat Mates

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by randomconnorcon, Sep 20, 2015.

1. randomconnorcon

So a couple of people might have seen a post I made in Small Victories a while back. It said that my university sent me a form and one of the questions was "does your gender identity match the gender you were assigned at birth?" It was so cool that I was in a place where I could be honest with myself and them and say no, but on a previous form I accidentally clicked that I wanted same gender flat mates rather than mixed gender and I couldn't change it so I was a little worried about what they'd do with the information I gave them.

They went with the gender I was assigned at birth rather than my gender identity, so I'm in an all female flat here at uni (I moved in yesterday). Which is good, I suppose. I don't really pass without a binder and I don't want to order one until I've stopped losing weight, so I can continue to do that without awkward questions or coming out (I would have come out to male flat mates). And I can still express in a masculine way; my clothes, my mannerisms, everything except my body is something I've had my whole time here. But I'm a little sad, I guess. Like, why ask if it changes nothing, you know?

Ugh. Maybe I'm just ranting because I'm already annoyed that a caught a cold. I just had to get something off my chest.

2. waternation

waternation Guest

You could contact the uni I guess and ask them about it? Slight chance it may have even been a processing error, although it does seem pretty obvious and insensitive to just put you in an all-female house when you ticked your gender as male... I'm sure you should be able to contact someone about that. It really shouldn't matter in terms of 'passing' or not....