1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The difference between male and female

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by UniqueJourney, Sep 20, 2015.

1. UniqueJourney

I just finished watching Mr. Angel on Netflix. And I am now in love with Buck Angel. What an inspiration!! He went through so much to get to where he's at. And now he is proudly and un-apologetically himself. He is a man with a vagina.

It is so encouraging to see someone breaking gender expectations. He is so masculine, breathtakingly so. And he not only has a vagina, but he's proud of it. I love this man!!

It helps me to see role models like this breaking society's norms, stereotypes, and expectations about gender and sex. I have always felt like I don't fit in, and I still do. But watching this documentary about Buck Angel's life has made me start feeling better about myself. That it's ok not to conform. And that my gender and sexuality are determined by how I feel and not anyone else.

Thank you Mr Angel for being proud of who you are and bringing your message of self-love and acceptance to the world.

So this brings me to pose this question: If we do not believe in society's false expectations and stereotypes of what it means to be "male" and "female"...if we take traditional gender roles out of the equation and recognize that men can express themselves in a wide range between "masculine" and "feminine"...and so can women...then how do WE define the difference between male and female?

If a woman can be "masculine" but still female...and men can be "feminine" but still male...then do the terms "masculine" and "feminine" have any meaning beyond that of a societal construct?

I have a vagina and some of the time I feel feminine in the traditional sense of the word. Does it make me less of a female (and therefore less feminine) when I don't feel like following traditional gender roles?

I'm curious as to others thoughts on this.

#1 UniqueJourney, Sep 20, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  2. Acm

Acm Guest

Ideas of masculinity and femininity are social constructs since they vary between cultures; what's considered feminine in one society can be very different from other cultures. Male and female aren't social constructs, and are separate from masculinity and femininity. It's obviously possible to be a feminine guy or a masculine girl. Personally I view gender as what physical sex you want your body to be, and how you want to be viewed in society. So for example a female would be someone comfortable with a female body and with being seen as female in society...so it doesn't really matter whether you follow traditional gender roles or not. This is just my opinion, sorry if it doesn't answer your question.

3. Null

In my opinion, it's just a matter of how the male/female labels feels to you. There are plenty of "tomboy" girls, but no matter how masculine they look or act, they have no doubt that they are female and will always identify as female. Same goes for effeminate men.

Now, talking about trans people, I think it's more of like, not feeling any sort of connection/full connection to the gender you were assigned at birth, but beyond stereotypes. An afab person can wear makeup and dresses, but feel no relation to "womanhood" per se.
    I don't know why or how, I leave that to the scientists lol

4. UniqueJourney

So, we agree that gender isn't defined by genitals, nor by following traditional gender roles.

I'm really curious for more input on how others define gender.

5. UniqueJourney

I agree that what different cultures view as within the norm for female and male expression does vary (ie what western culture would label as feminine behavior for a man, would not be labeled as such in other cultures). Examples are cultures where male friends hold hands. Or cultures where people kiss on the mouth as a normal greeting between non-romantically linked individuals.

Ok, so I was born with a female body. And I am ok with being viewed as a female (but I am not ok with society's expectations of the female gender).

However, in an ideal world I would be able to change back and forth between a female and a male body (because it would align with how I feel inside). And sometimes I would want to maintain the female body, but with the genitals of both sexes. So what gender is that?

Also, there is the fact that while sometimes I want to be viewed in society as a female, I often am not. My body apparently presents as male, even when I'm dressed in a feminine way because I get called sir quite frequently. It makes me hate and disconnect from my body at times.

Thoughts?

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Two things need to be addressed here.

One is, especially as of recently, the past few years, there is this trend to jump into the transgender label. I mean, that's fine, everybody has their own pace for their journey. You ultimately pursue and do what works for you.

But what I'm seeing, in the bulk of cases, nearly 80% if I was asked to put a number to it, is people are mistaking being transgender for a dislike for society's expectations for the sexes; gender roles. This is my second point.

It amuses me, in a discouraging kind of way that, if somebody born female likes to play with cars or enjoys video games, that isn't a stereotypical thing to do for a woman, therefore she must be a man! In the same way somebody born male likes to dance or look fashionable, which isn't a stereotypical thing to do for a REAL man, therefore he must be a woman!

There's countless other examples, but what I'm trying to say is. A lot of this seems to be simply a matter of, you're you. Be who you are. You don't have to transition, if what you like and enjoy doesn't align with society's expectations or beliefs.

Now then...

As for you, UniqueJourney, if you want to present as female, do so. If folks mistake you for being a male, roll with the punches, then think why they are, fix that, and go about it again. Same with presenting as male, same thing. However, don't change to accommodate society, if you are not comfortable with it, because then you are contributing to the very same problem that plagues much of humanity -- conformity, admittance that it is [always] right. Somebody will appreciate you being, well, you, and to be honest that's better in the long run.

Why?

I can easily put on a facade and go make "friends". It isn't hard for me. Now, if I try to do that as how I actually am, well, that's a tad more pressing. I'm not an easy person to understand, and this contributes to folks feeling alienated. However, the few times I do make a genuine connection, and somebody does understand me, it's worth it. I know these folks actually do like me for me, and not what I provide. The latter is a problem I've had for years, but it has become much easier to distinguish who appreciates me and who savors my potential.

As for your question of gender, for me it's this:

Gender is how you identify. Many folks see it as synonymous to sex.
    Sex is what you're born with, what you tell a doctor for medical reasons.

#6 Kaiser, Sep 21, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  7. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree with Max's definition of gender. That's how I see it too.

UniqueJourney, I would hesitantly call you genderfluid, though it certainly does become more complicated when the physical and social aspects of gender don't exactly align. If you can't find a specific label that describes you, you can always just call yourself nonbinary/genderqueer.

8. UniqueJourney

I agree. I have always rebeled against society's notions of what is proper and acceptable for a girl/woman. The idea that women have to paint their faces, pluck and shave their body hair, torture their back and feet in heels, etc to be beautiful is utter nonsense...but it sure does make a lot of money for the fashion and cosmetic industries.

I have never wanted to transition. I feel like I am both female and male and I would not give up one aspect for another. I just want to find peace with the different ways I feel and with non-androgynous ways of presenting so that the outward can match the inward as it fluctuates.

Outwardly I am content to present androgynous much of the time. But when I feel like wearing ruffles and lace I usually have a disconnect between my large framed body and my inner girly girl. I want to slowly explore dressing more feminine and see if gaining familiarity with myself in this way will ease that disconnect.

I am also interested in packing. So if anyone has suggestions in that regard they would be greatly appreciated as I'm both excited and nervous to try this and see what results.

The problem is there's nothing to "fix". I am a woman whether they identify me as such or not. I can't change my tall height nor my large frame. And I'm not going to grow my hair longer, wear makeup, or shave my legs just to please others.

I think I just need to find the confidence to be me, without apology. And come up with some witty comebacks to correct people when they make the wrong assumptions.

In the past I have not been grounded in my own sense on self. And though not consciously, I would find myself changing to suit others, whether they be friends or romantic partners. I would bury huge parts of myself that I felt would be rejected if they were known...and thus have repeatedly established unhealthy and often harmful relationships.

I'm finally taking the time to get to know, and love, me. And I thank those of you who have responded to this thread. I don't feel quite so alone in this.

---------- Post added 21st Sep 2015 at 08:00 PM ----------

Thank you for your reply :slight_smile:

I have been pondering labels, though I really hate labels in general. And I do think that queer is the best fit to describe both my gender and my sexuality. At least that's what feels comfortable right now.

To me queer means you have to get to know me before you can get a handle on the complexities of who I am. I see it as an invitation of sorts because I want to connect with people who are interested in learning the details behind the label.

9. Jellal

Personally I think "male" and "female" are words people use to identify themselves based off of associated images they form in their head. This image informs how they view themselves, how they view other people, or how they would prefer themselves to be viewed by others.

What is that image, exactly? What does it look like?
    Depends whose head you're in.

10. UniqueJourney

I think there is a profound truth in this perspective. Thank you for stating it so concisely.

11. Jellal

Sure thing! I guess sometimes I strike gold.