1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question to people whose pronouns are they/them/their

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by YinYang, Sep 21, 2015.

1. YinYang

If you are out and have people use the pronouns they/them/their to refer to you, do you still go by the same name you were given at birth, or did you change it?

2. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer he/him, but mostly use they/them in public. Similarly, I've chosen a male name but generally go by my last name in public, because it's gender neutral.

Pronouns and name don't have to have anything to do with each other and you're welcome to change one but not the other or change neither or change both. If you're comfortable with your name, you don't have to change it, even if you change your pronouns. If you're not comfortable with your name, change it!

3. YinYang

Thank you. The thing is, I'm not even sure I'm comfortable with gender neutral pronouns. I'm still pretty much questioning :bang:. While I'm on the topic, do you have any suggestions as to how I could 'try out' gender neutral pronouns without having to come out :confused:? Thanks.

4. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well there's a thread for it on EC!

In real life, it's not super possible to do it without having to come out at all, but if you have one or two friends who you trust, you could tell them you're questioning and would like it if they could use they/them pronouns (not in front of people you're not out to). Then you can hear someone using those pronouns for you and see how it feels.

5. Null

Sadly my language doesn't have a gender neutral "they", so I only go by those pronouns on the internet! If I were out irl, I'd ask people to call me he/him and my prefered name.

You can do what I do, just go online (to lgbt+ friendly places) and ask people to use they/them pronouns for you. You could also try to talk to yourself in 3rd person?

It's okay to experiment, don't worry about it!

6. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I go by they or he set pronouns but haven't changed my name at all. I mean, CJ or Cas(s) is how I'm generally referred to anyways, but I still like the name Cassandra.

7. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm only out online when it comes to my pronouns at the moment (and people tend to call me by my neutral online nickname), but I've got plans to come out officially next month, and I intend to keep my birth name alongside they/them/their pronouns for the time being.

I may or may not change my name at some point! But I've struggled to find one I'm comfortable using, and figured it would be better for me to deal with that at a later date.

As for wanting to test-drive pronouns, I'd also recommend the thread here for it, and if you want you could always announce them in your signature on here and see how you feel when people use them. :slight_smile:

8. YinYang

Thanks, you guys. Your advice really helped a lot. :slight_smile:

9. YinYang

Another question, which is correct? They doesn't like it or they don't like it? I'm not entirely sure how to phrase the words in this situation.

10. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You have to use it like you would in third person plural, even if it's singular.

11. YinYang

Okay, thanks.

12. horrorgeek

Though I am far from fully out, for now I still plan on going by the name I was given at birth, as it's already pretty neutral. I have thought briefly, though, about going by my middle name. My given first name, for me, often feels pretty connected to people seeing me as a girl. I still haven't considered it much yet, though.