1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nonbinary/Questioning vs Kids

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by beanboy, Sep 23, 2015.

1. beanboy

I'm having to retype this for the third time, because my computer sucks so excuse me if I'm brief.
    I met this little kid yesterday and he asked me "Are you a boy or a girl?" I mean, it was inevitable, I'm pretty androgynous, but I told him I didn't know. And I really don't know. But he got upset. He analyzed my clothes and body shape, this little four-year-old, and eventully came to the conclusion that I was a girl. His friend disagreed, and I became the subject of an argument about the unknown nonbinary high school student.
    I was pretty pissed at first, for reasons I don't entirely remember, but I've the opportunity to think about it, now. And I realized I need some answer for when the little bros ask the gender question, because "I don't know" clearly isn't sufficient.
    So what do you guys say when you're asked whether you're a guy or a girl? :help:

2. Jellal

Wow, I wish I could get to the point where people even ask me!

Then I could ask them, "do you mean what I've got in my pants or what I've got in my head?"

EDIT: Hmm. There's got to be a better way of phrasing that without leading the conversation around to my genitalia. Also, I rarely wear pants :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#2 Jellal, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  3. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty content just saying I'm a boy (it's like 90% true, which is good enough for me), which makes it easy. But kids are pretty easy to persuade, so if you just say "I'm neither" or "I'm both" or "I'm in between" or whatever fits you best, they're pretty likely to believe you. You can always do the quick explanation of "a lot of people don't feel like a boy or a girl on the inside, they feel in between" if they don't buy it right away.

4. FootballFan101

"I was born eing told I was a boy/girl but not who I am, I am like a boy some ways and a girl the other ways, any questions"

5. randomconnorcon

I've been asked this question by a wide range of ages. The kids didn't really wait for an answer, they kind of just assumed for themselves and some said boy while others said girl. My friends got the "I'm a guy" answer and had no problem accepting it. Some adults I either told I was a guy or shrugged - they didn't like either answer and decided on girl.

6. IrishJ

This gave me quite a chuckle from the eyes of an inquisitive 4 year old. This was a genuine question that probably perplexed the young one as their mind is wired at that age to be able to discern non-concrete. I am not surprised that this became an argument. Be well.