1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I androgynous or agender or what?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by YinYang, Sep 24, 2015.

1. YinYang

I've never really felt like a girl, but I know I'm not a guy. I would rather be called by gender neutral pronouns (I'm pretty sure) and I usually wear baggy jeans and large t-shirts with a jacket. I only wear dresses on special occasions and, while it feels nice to pretty myself up every once in a while, I don't want to do that on a daily basis. I always put my hair up into a ponytail and I never wear makeup. I don't think gender matters at all and would be happy if people couldn't usually tell what gender I am. I know for sure I'm not male because I don't really want male genitalia, and I don't really care much about my female parts. I like to bind, but that's so that I look flat-chested, not because I want to be a guy. Would you call this agender, androgynous, what? :help:

#1 YinYang, Sep 24, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're fine with your genitalia then you're probably not trans. Most cis people just feel indifferent to their sex. You can still wear a binder and be androgynous regardless of gender, so that's not a very good indicator. Do you really want male secondary sex characteristics? A flat chest? Or is it entirely gender expression? Do you have social dysphoria? Questions like that can help you figure yourself out.

3. YinYang

I don't think my gender really should matter At all. I don't exactly feel female, but I don't feel male either. I would like a flat chest, but not male genitalia. I would like to express myself as androgynous, not male or female. I wouldn't say I have social dysphoria, but I (think) I'd rather be referred to using gender neutral pronouns. I am planning on testing it with a couple of friends soon.

4. YinYang

What would you say this sounds like?

5. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, you don't sound trans to me, but I'm certainly not the expert on what you're feeling. Only you can know for sure. But gender expression doesn't define gender, and all you've really described to me is how you like to dress/look. I think a lot of nondysphoric and/or cis people tend to think gender shouldn't matter, though that is also a feeling agender people often have. So my opinion is that you sound like a gender nonconforming cis woman who should absolutely rock the androgynous look and use whatever pronouns you find comfortable. If you do decide you're cis, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to express yourself however you want (wear whatever you want and bind if that's what makes you feel good) and use whatever pronouns feel best.

6. horrorgeek

I think it's possible you're trans, but it's definitely something you'll have to figure out and discover yourself. It might help to ask yourself whether you're uncomfortable with being referred to as female, or if you feel a disconnect with your assigned gender. Although your preferred pronouns don't necessarily indicate gender, you might consider your reasoning behind your use of neutral pronouns. There are also many people who identify as androgyne or agender out of indifference to gender or the sentiment that gender is unnecessary or not an aspect of their identity.