1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you find out how trans-friendly your doctor is?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by I AM MEOW, Sep 27, 2015.

1. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there anything like an online tool I could search, or anything that some places might have locally that you could find out about doctors in an area, could I look at information about their policies somewhere?
    I'm wondering because I'm already seeing a neurologist and an endocrinologist for other health issues, and my dad is pretty stubborn about not switching pcp's. And also I'm paranoid because Texas.

2. Groosenator

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Word of mouth may be the best option at this point in time for all people. Maybe Google and see if there are any trans or LGBT support groups in your area and ask someone in there if they have had any good experiences. This is what I ultimately did, though I didn't realize it would bring me to where I am now. I think getting a recommendation from someone who has has a good experience themselves is going to give the best results.

Alternatively, I tried to see if there are any resources for this kind of thing using Google, and I found one, though I have no idea if it is any good or anything to go by:
    https://glmaimpak.networkats.com/members_online_new/members/dir_provider.asp
    Also Coming Soon | MyTransHealth (This one is not up and running yet but that is their exact purpose. Something to keep an eye on)

Other than that you can Google "lgbt friendly doctor" and your city/county/zip code and see what comes up. Without personal references in your area, Google is your friend. Best of luck, mate.

#2 Groosenator, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015