1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice choosing a name?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by bayanski, Sep 27, 2015.

1. bayanski

I've been out as a transguy among friends and peers for about three years (only recently came out to my dad and siblings; still not out to my mom, who has convinced herself that I'm just a lesbian.) I've never, at any point in my life, liked my name, so changing it is a huge deal for me. I've been looking at names these whole three years, and I feel like I've seen them all. I had one that I'd been going by, but even after 2 1/2 years of using it it never really felt like me. But now I'm in this terrible limbo where I'm well out of practice of going by my birth name, but I don't have any other name to fill the void. I'm nameless, and it's terrible. It's one of the most basic building blocks of identity; everyone knows their name, there's no reason to be confused about what your name is, and it's something that gets used every day of your life. When I meet a new person I can't very well introduce myself with "I'm not sure", so I feel an immense pressure to just pick something and start using it. Especially since I pass 97% of the time until I open my mouth and say a distinctly feminine name. But "just pick something masculine" is kind of what happened with the name I tried out (although I did really like it when I picked it, which is more than I can say about the vast majority of names; I was just hesitant about whether or not it fit me and was hoping eventually I would decide it did), and I'm scared to get another name entrenched in people's minds only to change it again later. And I don't want to just pick a name, because 1) I grew up with a name I hated, so now that I get to pick one I want to pick one that I love, and 2) I'm a huge nerd about names. I love them, and I'm very picky about them, and I think about them a lot. I read a lot into other people's names, which means I'm going to read a lot into my own.

I know the standard advice is to pick a standard name. Just go through the list of names that were popular in my birth year and pick one. But I have a couple problems with that. First, I just straight up don't like most of them, to be honest. Second, the few that I do like are already taken by people close to me. My brother's middle name and my best friend's name, my sister's fiance's name, my dad's arch nemesis brother's name. I'm not comfortable choosing to share a name with someone I know. If I meet someone with the name I choose, then that's fine. But asking my friend Michael to call me Michael? No no no.

Because I read so much into names, I want a name that really says something about me. You meet a guy named Thomas, what can you learn from that? Well he was probably born in an English-speaking country. Probably, but not even that is a given. I don't want a very generic name, I want a name that expresses who I am. But of course that then opens up the issue of people judging the name I choose. My friends, I know, will be supportive of whatever I choose. My family, I know, will not. Acquaintances, people who I interact with enough that they'd need to be in the loop on the change but not really people I'd call friends, will probably not openly judge it the way I know my family will, but I still take their opinions heavily into consideration cause I'm a loser with just enough other fears to have GAD and not SAD but who still pays way too much attention to what other people think. I don't want to come off as pretentious because I choose a name other than Christopher or John, you know?

I have a lot of other things to take into consideration as well. I have a lot of siblings whose names I have to think about; I have a twin brother, and two of my favorite names are out because they're like his (one rhymes, and the other is like a mashup up his first and middle name.) My dad grew up in Texas, my mom grew up in the Midwest, my siblings and I grew up in the Deep South, and I'm now living in the Northwest; that's four different accents I have to be mindful of in regards to pronunciation. My family has a couple of naming traditions, including sibling sets all starting with the same letter, and I need to decide if I'm going to try to stick with them or be the jerk who doesn't. And if I do stick with them, then they become incredibly restrictive.

The last thing is that, sort of working off of the other issues, I really love Irish names. My dad's parents are Irish. He's estranged from his family to the point that until I was seventeen he always told me they were all dead; he's also a big history/geneology buff, and when he used to talk to me about it he'd always say his family was English (he admitted we were Irish when I asked him why we had such a distinctly Irish last name.) He even left the Church because it only reminded him of his family. Almost all of my favorite names, including the two I can't use because of my brother, are Irish (the others are Swedish; my mom's parents are Swedish but because she grew up on a farm and now lives in the city, she just considers Swedish things to be very rural and therefore doesn't like them.) Distinctly Irish. Most of them are even Gaelic. I in my mind consider myself Irish-American. It's not something I usually talk about, but it's important to me and something I consider in a lot of elements of my daily life. So using an Irish name would reflect a part of myself that's very important to me. But I'm scared it's very pretentious of me to use an Irish name, since I was born and raised in America and most of the elements of Irish culture that come into play in my everyday life are things I chose to embrace and participate in; my only I guess "natural" connection to Ireland is through my dad, and he's done near everything to cut me off from it. And I know he'll be very disapproving if I choose an Irish name, which upsets me because he's so important to me.

TL;DR I'm struggling a lot to choose a name because I read a lot into it, but I'm currently in name limbo and not sure even how to introduce myself to people so I'm desperate to pick something. I want to choose an Irish name because I like them and think they represent a part of me, but I don't want to be pretentious and/or upset my dad. On a scale of 1-10, how crazy am I being about this? :help:

2. FootballFan101

You posted two of these

3. Null

Choosing a name for yourself is hard, but I think that's the beautiful thing about this. You get to be whoever you want, you can choose a name you love and get rid of the old one you hated. I think that's pretty awesome.
    You have Irish ancestry, so you have the right to pick an Irish name if you want! I see you feel a very strong connection, and showing that admiration through your name would make anyone proud.

4. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it makes sense to go with an Irish name if that's what you like. I know someone who was given an Irish name honouring his ancestry, although he was born and raised in America. It's honouring past generations but not necessarily your dad's family specifically. It may be interesting to see if there's a great-great grandfather or something like that with a name you like =) Just an idea