1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Men's Wear exploration

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SnowshoeGeek, Sep 27, 2015.

1. SnowshoeGeek

I took a furtive trip through the menswear section of my local Wal-Mart while grocery shopping tonight. Felt a couple of plaid flannel shirts (my favorite) but bought nothing. I was nervous.

Only since coming to this site did I flash on my enjoyment of men's clothing, starting to think it could very well be a way that I like to express myself.

What is your experience with clothing? Do you prefer male or female, or look for non-gendered (I hear that is becoming a thing)? How does clothing fit with your sexual identity? How did you get to where you are now with clothing?

2. Ivy Iris

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always, somehow, end up at the men's section. I do it without realizing but I am too much of a chicken to actually buy anything. Instead, I stare for a long time at the plaid shirts, the awesome boots and dark large T-shirts and think that one day I will actually be brave enough to just do it. Just buy all the awesome belts and shirts and whatnot.

3. blurry

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, I remember buying my first men's clothing too, my mom gave me money to spend at a thrift store so I bought some cargo shorts and jeans. When I went up to the cashier, I let it slip out that I was afraid of what my mom would think. He gave me a knowing look and told me that it doesn't matter what she thinks, do it for yourself.

I like men's clothing because it's baggy on me and most of it is casual and not revealing, tight or size nonexistent. Also I feel more like myself and not like I'm trying to be what im expected to be heh

#3 blurry, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  4. UniqueJourney

Isn't it sad how much anxiety shopping for clothes can cause us? Unfortunately for me, I feel this way whether I shop in the men's or the women's section. It just all around sucks to feel anxious, afraid, furtive, self-judgmental...and then to actually get odd looks or comments from other people only adds to the cacophony inside.

That being said, after I managed to take that initial plunge, I do feel more natural and comfortable in men's clothes (more neutral though than overtly masculine). Shopping still hasn't gotten any easier for me though.

5. SnowshoeGeek

That is a great story!

Gotta love cargo shorts!!:thumbsup:

6. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My clothing tends to pull equally from the men's and women's sections - I wear what I like the look of. But I get similarly anxious shopping in the menswear section (at least when accompanied) because for some reason it's not as easy to find clothes that fit me as it was, and it means I have to spend more time and try things on a lot, etc.

I do enjoy mens' clothing, though - I feel like I look good in it, and I cannot praise up deep, functional pockets enough. And while I try not to tie my gender expression to my gender identity too much, I know my appearance is more visually androgynous in menswear and that is something I like.

But seriously. Is it me, or are shops making guys' clothes longer and longer? I'm 5 foot nothing and never used to have trouble finding mens' teeshirts that fitted me - now even size XS is long!

7. SnowshoeGeek

Well they say average height is increasing... but mine surely isn't!

It really does seem like men's clothing is more functional. I've known that I like it for a lot of years, but it never even occurred to me that any other females felt the same way. But... I don't get out much. :grin:

8. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

I usually buy shirts from the men's section and pants in the women's section. I just wish the pants have the same pocket sizes as in the men's section. lol. Also, I wish it wasn't so awkward to go shopping in the men's section, I get anxious about people looking at me. But now I could purchase clothing online, which is awesome. Though the sizing & clothing material might complicate things, it would offer more variety & options.
    I do like men's fashion more than women's. It just feels more comforting on me. My style would probably be like Ellen Page's, & I prefer most articles of my clothing to be in black or neutral colors (white, gray, dark blue).

9. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually shop from men's section now. Use to wear female clothes, just jeans or tees but I always wanted to wear men's clothes. Was to chicken to do so.
    With men's clothing I have a problem with pants., have to buy with wide hips in mind so that usually means that while my pants button a little tight they still look baggy everywhere else.
    I usually end up shopping with a friend then buying at self check out, but after a while the anxious feeling goes away

As for sexual identity....I don't think my love for men's wear has anything to do with that, and more to do with my gender identity. I'm a non-binary trans man and masculine/neutral attire help me express that.

10. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Replace "men's section" with "women's section" and that's me.

I always go with men designed non-gendered kind of clothes. Like anything in my closet could be worn by a tomboyish girl (wait, she doesn't even need to be a tomboy for that).

11. middleageguy

Men's clothes are usually better made. Its not unusual for women to buy mens flannel shirts. They are better for layering. I discovered mens jeans fit me better too. Baby steps. Start with a flannel shirt. There is nothing wrong with it. The only statement you are making is that you like the shirt.

12. middleageguy

For me wearing a men's shirt is comforting. It makes me feel more like me. Women's clothes make me feel like I'm in drag. I always said I hated to shop...thats because I was shopping in the wrong section. I enjoy shopping in the men's section. Sometimes I do feel a bit self conscious but the more I do it the easier it gets.

13. SnowshoeGeek

Until now I thought I was the ONLY ONE who felt that I was in drag when I wear girly clothing!!!!! But, I really enjoy the feeling of being in drag. I always chuckle to myself that I know I feel like I'm dressing up silly, but everyone else lets me get away with it because I'm a "girl." Wow, just wow - thank you for sharing that!!!! (!):thumbsup::roflmao:

14. Null

That happens to me too! I like dresses and cute shirts, but when I put them on, I feel like I'm wearing a costume. I like those things, but only when other people wear them haha.

I'm not out to anybody, so my wardrobe has some plain and comfy shirts/pants I bought myself, and the other 80% are "girly" clothes and shoes my mom keeps buying and I never wear :eusa_danc

15. ThroughTheMist

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I also relate to this. Every time I put on a dress (like for a choir concert), I feel like a kid playing dress-up. My favorite clothes are all "men's" clothes.

16. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been shopping in the men's section since before the time that I could buy my own clothes. Back then, it was my mother who took me shopping, and she didn't give a damn what I wore as long as I liked it. Not to mention that back then, finding girl pants that fit me was absolutely impossible, and I absolutely hated the styles; too tight and almost hard to move in. So I've more or less been wearing men's clothing since I was around 14. Most of my family still doesn't know I'm trans, but me wearing men's clothes has never been a surprise to any of them.

THIS. Right here. I was talking with my sister just a few weeks ago about her pants, with her tiny pockets that her stupid phone kept falling out of. Doesn't having pockets that can't actually hold anything kind of defeat the purpose of why they're there in the first place?

17. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I really like somewhat androgynous men's clothing. The clothes are comfortable, the pockets are actually usable, I really like casual button downs (and those are numerous), and plus it does a lot to hide my hips and give me a more masculine figure. I can be pretty femme sometimes though. Honestly, my ultimate dream clothing-wise would be to go on T so I could wear whatever I want and still pass, and then alternate between nice men's clothing and pretty dresses.

18. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like the men's/boy's section, and not just because I like to express the feelings I have gender-wise that way, but also because I simply find the clothing there more comfortable. I guess it doesn't hurt that people look at me and no matter what gender they perceive me as they assume I'm interested in girls (because I am) simply because of stereotypes and all.

But that's not really why I dress the way I dress (though initially I did choose clothing to signal that I was interested in women), I just wear what I like and what I want to look like- and what I want to look like most of the time I can only find in the guys' section.

19. middleageguy

Washed my new flannel shirt. Ready for the day. Next mini adventure: I need a pair of mens shoes or boots.

20. Romin

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always worn "mens" or "boys" clothes. I still identify as female, but dress exclusively masculine. It's basically just how I feel comfortable. I like to think of clothing as "these are womens clothes because I am a woman and they're mine".