1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell my parents?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by YinYang, Oct 1, 2015.

1. YinYang

I currently have no idea what my gender is, but I like the idea of being referred to as they/them. I haven't gotten the chance to test it out, though, so I'm not 100% sure. Should I tell my parents? They already know I think I'm panromantic asexual, but I don't know how they would react to me questioning my gender. Neither of them know much about lgbt and gender identity, besides male, female, and trans, which I know for sure I'm not. I asked my mom for a binder before and she didn't really approve and when I mentioned cutting my hair really short, my mom seemed a little taken aback and the whole conversation felt awkward. I'm usually really close to my parents, especially my mom, but I feel like this isn't something they would understand. Two of my friends know and one is completely supportive while the other is just like 'don't worry about it so much'. I want to know how it feels to have people use they/them pronouns for me, but I don't know if my parents would help me with that. Also, coming out at school is out of the question, I don't want to do that until I'm sure.

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I were you, I'd tell my parents I was questioning and ask them to use they/them. Don't try to explain all of the LGBT stuff, just tell them how you feel (as long as you're safe).

3. FootballFan101

I told my mum how i felt back in August and a great weight has been lifted off my should

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Your parents are probably going to wonder why you want to be referred to with "they/them", so you'll have to have some kind of answer for that. Otherwise, they may just shrug it off or find it odd. The latter may have them thinking, it's a phase.

But if you really want them to address you as such, you need to be prepared with a reason. Something.

5. AvatarRachel

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you really want to be referred to as they and explain why you're cutting your hair and get a binder and if you're prepared to explain to them about gender identity and sexuality and stuff, go ahead! If I were you, I'd wait until I've had it all figured out (one reason is because I'm a chicken), but if you want to do it, go for it! Just be prepared for any questions or criticisms.

6. MetalRice

If you want too, then do it, and vice versa.