1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name disapointments

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ghostling, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I kinda accidentally stumbled across a name that I finally feel comfortable with (Ghost) but I'm also really upset because I know I'll never be able to use it or even tell people I want to be called that? I mean, I'm already 100% out as trans and whatnot, but I've never changed my name. My name is just what it's been for as long as I've been alive and I guess that's what all trans people have to go through, but my name is really just a nickname of my birth name which already brought problems legally and stuff, but I'm still just not really comfortable with it and it's just what everyone I've ever met has been taught to call me. Also Ghost is just a really unconventional name and that would just be a lot of trouble in itself.

Basically, anyone else have this problem? I'd like to hear other people's stories too.

2. Midori

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have any stories yet. Just wanted to pop in and say that I think Ghost is a really cool name. It sounds unique and mysterious.

#2 Midori, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  3. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I suppose it depends on what you're comfortable with. There are some pretty unusual names being given to babies these days. I think people are starting to get used to the idea that names aren't always what they'd expect lately (IE Sarah, Elizabeth, James, Bob, etc).
    Some of these names aren't even names. I met one nice family who named their little girl Beautiful. (yes, I know Beau, Bonny, Bell and other variations of the word are names). There's a lot of celebrities who are giving their kids unusual or untypical names as well, so we may very well end up with many kids around like that.

My name is an actual name but it's pretty uncommon and I'm finding a lot of people don't know how to pronounce it (even though it's really pretty simple). It's a bit annoying but I'll get used to it. I also had to deal with a lot of people not liking my chosen name. When I was trying to decide, most people said they hated the name!! So I went by a different one for quite a while but eventually I had to do what was in my heart to do. Since then I've found that a lot of people love this name so lol.

Anywho, another option is to keep it as a nickname and find something else for an official, legal name. Or you could have it as a middle name and just go by that. You could try an alternate spelling so people don't immediately think "Ghost" but maybe "Goste" or some other variation. It might seem more name-like then? Or just go by Ghost as your legal first name! Lots to think about!

#3 Ronin, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015