1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I really need to come out? (Genderfluid help)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by jusataqueerhere, Oct 3, 2015.

1. jusataqueerhere

Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been contemplating my gender a LOT in the past couple months and I finally feel like I can identify what it is.

I finally realised that I'm on the genderfluid/ trigender spectrum (though I tend to gravitate towards the agender "middle" of the spectrum no matter what gender I feel like at a particular moment, i.e. I don't identify as a manly man or a feminine woman almost ever, even if I feel like a man or a woman)

So most of the time, I am fine being called female pronouns, like it doesn't bother me. However, sometimes I do get really dysphoric about being referred to by she/her pronouns. It happens so infrequently, though, I question whether I should even come out to people.

Idk, but if there's any genderfluid/ nonbinary people who have gone through this, I would love some feedback. What do you guys think?

(btw I would ask to be called they/ him pronouns but again, she is generally not dysphoric for me)

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Do you need to come out? No...

However, if you want to live the life you believe you should have, you're going to have to come out, in some degree. Otherwise, nobody is going to know what to refer to you as. This is especially true if you intend to transition, as you'll need some kind of support network, even if it's just emotional. If you do not intend to transition, then you can take it one step at a time, by letting those you deem trustworthy know of your situation.

In the meantime, you can always just be yourself. However that may be, and go through the motions of living.

3. InfinityonHigh

This is a question only you can answer for yourself, but I can give a few takes ion it. I fit into the gender binary so I don't know how much felt I can be, but coming out is something you can do only when you feel ready. If you find it necessary and safe, coming out could be a great idea. If you think your physical safety can be endangered, don't. Coming out can really take some weights off your chest, as long as they don't put any more on it.