1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to want to be the opposite gender after adolescence?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by icelaflame, Oct 3, 2015.

1. icelaflame

Out Status:
    A few people
    This is relatively a new set of thinking I've been having for a short while, so there isn't much I can elaborate on, but I'll try to be clear as possible.

Lately, I've been wondering how it feels to be a girl. As I came into accepting my pansexuality, I started watching more LGBT youtubers. One particular kind of thing I found interesting was watching makeup tutorials (drag mainly), clothing hauls and hair tutorials for no special reason other than me finding it interesting and sort of cool. I'm into fashion, when I visit clothing sites or just look up fashion in general, I look at women's clothes and the various styles they have, I have little to no interest in men's clothes anymore as I did when I was younger. Frequently I have dreams where I'm a woman and I'm fine with it, looking at myself in the mirror, stroking my long hair, I looked beautiful... But then I woke up as myself in my male body, and actually felt sad about it. Over and over now it becomes a pressing thought what if I could be a girl? Do I even like being a guy? I This is so frustrating! First over a year ago when I was 18, I discovered I wasn't straight. Now I'm discovering that I might want to be a girl and have no idea why all of a sudden I feel this way, especially knowing I can't do jack about it if it's true.
    Is the way I'm feeling possible at this age? Is it common? A phase? It can't be gender dysphoria, since that's supposed to take place as a child (correct me if I'm wrong please), I've never had this feeling until about a month ago.
    I am so lost and confused, and I thought sexuality was a mystery in itself, this takes the cake I tell ya. >_<

Thank you in advance,

#1 icelaflame, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  2. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Uh, I could be wrong, but as far as I'm aware, Gender dysphoria can happen at... Well, any age, just USUALLY as a child. I discovered my sexuality/romanticality at 15, and my gender at 16. I still have some dysphoria, but I'm getting over it. I don't think you're so different from a lot of us. Sure, many know from a young age; maybe since they were born, even. But some if us don't. And that's just fine. you can explore all options for yourself. Hope that helps.

3. icelaflame

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for your input, it's brought comfort to the situation. What would you say brought you to the big "revelation" that you're genderfluid at 16? Was it a gradual process or an out of the blue surprise?

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For most people it usually manifest with the inset of puberty, but for many people that isn't the case. Sometimes dysphoria is repressed or not there at all till something , like drag for some people, triggers it.

Think bout it, there are people over 40 only just now realizing it all.
    I was reading the blog of one guy (think its called tranifesto). He was 45-ish when he told his his shrink that he had days where he often felt genderless. Before then he presented as a girly girl. He always had that sense of being off or wrong but never connected it to his gender till talking about it with someone.

5. AlexLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 27 and only now am I coming to terms with that I'm a guy not a girl. It took a lot, I mean, been a cis girl all those years even if I was more tomboyish. But to finally accept with myself that I wasn't born the right gender?
    Maybe you have felt this way for awhile and are just now realizing it. Maybe you've been more gender fluid and are finally finding you want to choose a gender that better adjust to your mind set. There is also a saying that every 7 years or bodies go through a change, maybe this is your change and its just a big one.

Whatever the reason, you can discover your the wrong gender later in life and be diagnosed with gender dysphoria at any age.
    There are things you can do aswell;

Try doing buying makeup and applying it at home. If your not ready to go out in it, than try it around at home when you don't plan on going out. Right now is the perfect time to buy a wig and wear it, or buy women's clothing and try wearing it as well. I found it really exciting to buy my first outfit as a man. Think of what you'd want your name to be as a girl. Think of how it would be to have a relationship with someone as a girl.
    Read about surgeries or Estrogen hormone therapy and see if its something you'd actually be willing to do when and if you were ready to commit to it.

Honestly, I didn't realize how much I wanted and loved being a guy, till I actually passed as one and was called 'sir'.

And hey! Who knows. Maybe you just want to dress like a girl and wear makeup, but still want to be a guy. Theres no shame in looking good and being in drag.

If you want someone to talk to you can message me if you want. Good luck on discovering yourself.

6. Jellal

Like others said, it varies.

But I was definitely one of those who got the "wouldn't it be better to be a girl" thoughts after adolescence. I guess it kicked in harder sort of as a response to puberty that was working to make me look and sound more actively male. Over the years I steadily realized how much that was really bothering me.

7. Willa

People come into their personal identities at all sorts of different stages in life. Some people know their whole lives that they're trans, and some people don't know until they're in their sixties. It's actually very common for it to surface around adolescence because during puberty you start to develop your secondary sex characteristics and you become interested in dating, and all that tuff is at the forefront of your attention.

8. MetalRice

Of course, I'm 17 and didn't really start realizing that I had problems with being a guy and wanted to be female until earlier this year, it happens at a different time for everyone; and it's fine if it's only happening now for you.

9. BandFangirl

BandFangirl Guest

Gender dysphoria/general confusion can occur at any age.