1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender imbalance in support groups

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by InfinityonHigh, Oct 4, 2015.

1. InfinityonHigh

I've been going to some trans support groups for a bit, and one thing i noticed was that almost everybody there was a trans guy. I thought that the trans male: trans female ratio should be about 1:1? I've even heard that there's more trans women than there are trans men. It's as if there was a sign that said "no girls allowed". Anyone had similar experiences?
    Funny thing is, I've read Some Assembly Required by Arin Andrews and he mentioned that the support group he went to also had a similar trend.

2. Null

I haven't been to support groups, but I've heard plenty of times that there are far more trans men than women.
    I recall some girls who said that they didn't receive the help they needed when they went to support groups, and that guys were more "accepted" in those places.
    I can't say anything for sure, though.

3. AlexLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's odd. Maybe it depends on where you live. I know no other Transmen here, but know of many transwomen. And there are no support groups here where I live, which is highly disappointing.

4. InfinityonHigh

Well then I suppose it's probably because of the age difference that people come out. Most trans women seem to come out later in life. (I'd be interested in knowing more about that and why) I'm not an adult yet so that might be a reason.

5. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was going to suggest the same thing. I think young trans men being aware of their gender, out, and able to come to a support group is more common than that being true of young trans women. It's easier to explore gender as a trans man because it's easier to be perceived as a masculine woman than it is to be seen as a feminine man (fewer people will object), and similarly, it's easier to come out and be accepted. Young trans women have often been more strongly discouraged from exploring their gender and would face more backlash for expressing themselves, so knowing they're trans, coming out, and accessing a support group is more difficult.