1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question about Dysphoria

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BandFangirl, Oct 5, 2015.

1. BandFangirl

BandFangirl Guest

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. So the past few months I have been pretty dysphoric - a near tears experience/thought at least 2 times in a week (which is a lot for me)- and then all of a sudden in the last 3ish weeks I haven't been dysphoric at all. I just wanted to know if anyone else had these periods of "on/off" dysphoria.

Thanks-a-bunch! :slight_smile:

2. MetalRice

While I haven't had it, I can definitely say that it's perfectly normal to feel that way and have that; trust me.

3. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like how I felt a few months ago.
    It's perfectly normal to experience dysphoria that comes and goes. :slight_smile:

4. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's confusing for me actually. It makes me question my stance on my gender. But I always come back more confident than before. Even when I don't experience dysphoria I still know pretty well that I'm not my assigned gender. But it's disorienting to say the least. Just don't worry. Think of it as a break. A chance to consider your base personality without an bias.

5. BandFangirl

BandFangirl Guest

Thanks!
    I like your stance on dysphoria.:slight_smile:

6. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    One thing that I have noticed is that sometimes the dysphoria is just really low key. Like "Bleh these hips" seems to be a major one these days. It's just a fleeting thought. Or I check in the mirror to make sure my outfit doesn't accentuate my hips. But I'm so used to being really dysphoric. It's like, once you get used to spicy foods, Franks Red Hot sauce is akin to ketchup. So you forget it's hot sauce. :shrug: If that makes sense? It's a possiblity for some people, perhaps.

It is pretty normal to have waves, though. It's like moods. Moods usually last a little longer but still fluctuate in degrees but then they change for a bit and maybe go back. When you look at mental health issues (not saying being trans is a MH issue ofc, but the dysphoria itself has some elements of anxiety and/or depression) it's pretty uncommon for any of them to be a straight line all the time - like always intensely depressed for years. It can happen but most fluctuate to some degree or to a large degree and even that might fluctuate. Doesn't mean that person doesn't struggle with depression or that it isn't real! It definitely is! But that's the same for pretty much everything human, to be honest! Stock markets, relationships, jobs, you name it. And having gender dysphoria is no less human, so fluctuation is almost a given!

Hope I made sense

#6 Ronin, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  7. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I experience that, albiet with more 'off' than 'on' most of the time. I can go from completely chill with my body and not caring about how I present...to having this constant sense of low-key unease when I'm not binding and/or presenting in a markedly androgynous or "masculine" way/being hyperconscious of my voice, etc.

Fluctuating dysphoria is something that's far from uncommon (I'd go so far as to say it's to be expected) - whether those fluctuations are from minor to intense, or nonexistent to minor, or nonexistent to intense.

8. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, my therapist explained this to me, it happens to nearly every dysphoric person. It's actually more of a rule than an exception.

#8 baconpox, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  9. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This, plus the more masculine my appearance the more I seem to be uneasy being approached as female in public, though I rarley go out and most days it doesn't seem to bother me.