1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling like an impostor when I talk about my gender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Oddsocks, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As a non-trans-identified nonbinary person, I really struggle to know where I stand when I talk about gender.

Despite the fact that if someone asked my pronouns I'd default to 'they', and despite the fact that if a form gives me an 'other' box for gender I'll check it, I still feel out of place in trans discussions - I'm convinced on some level that I shouldn't be involved. I get anxious describing anything I experience as 'dysphoria' (because what if it isn't?). I know that my experience isn't one I've ever heard of a cis person sharing, but even so, I really have trouble treating it as...definitely a real thing, I guess.

It's one of the big reasons I'm scared of coming out! I'm not sure how to stand my ground against people potentially asking me the very same questions I ask myself and don't have answers for, or people thinking my gender isn't legitimate when I struggle to treat it as legitimate myself.

Does anyone else get this feeling? Most agender/genderfluid/nonbinary/genderqueer people I come across seem so secure in their gender identity once they've come to terms with it.

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of people aren't that secure in their gender identity. I wasn't until recently (and I'm a binary trans guy). Dysphoria with/discomfort with your sex, it's not very specific and can present itself in a number of ways. If you're not cis, I can't see why you shouldn't be involved. If you do come out and people are annoying, don't worry about it because it's your life.

3. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really appreciate your saying-so, and it's nice to hear that binary folks grapple with finding security in their gender identity too. The 'I've always known' narrative is so common and well-circulated and my gender discovery narrative pretty much sets me up to look like a complete Special Snowflake(tm) case in comparison, I guess.

I'm hoping that coming out will do good for my working stuff out rather than bad. But I guess if it doesn't work out for me and I turn out to have been cis but gender-nonconforming all along, that would be good for me to find out anyway. Either way I'm sure it'll mean good things in the long run.

4. SnakeNaga

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm nonbinary, and I doubt myself sometimes. I can't tell if it's because people are constantly misgendering me and it confuses my brain, or something else. I don't feel okay, a lot. Maybe I'm cis and gender-nonconforming. But this is who I am now, so I try to feel as secure as I can.

5. KaelTail

As a binary trans man, I can relate to how you feel. I started to understand that I am trans 8 months ago, and since then I've had similar doubts to yours. I felt like every trans person I saw was so secure in their identity, and adamantly insistent on it even at a young age, and I worried that my doubts and questions and just not knowing how to even respond to "what is gender" meant that I wasn't "trans enough". When I started talking to my therapist, one of the first things I told her was that I felt like I try to disprove I'm trans all the time, and that I tear myself apart and wonder if I'm just crazy and trying to convince myself that this is how I feel.

But, any time I'm in a good frame of mind, I know who I am. The doubts are always follow by disphoria and fuelled by depression and anxiety. There's so much fear that others, particularly family, won't understand or accept how I feel, and I think that fear makes your doubts stronger than they really are. The fact that gender is so hard to pin down makes it that much harder. Describing the trans experience in a way that people who've never felt anything like it can understand is like trying tell a blind person what "purple" is. It's like you can hear the voices of others telling you your identity is invalid in your head before you've ever really heard the words in reality.

My dysphoria is pretty mild compared to many, and at first I felt like I had no right to it. Why should I complain about the rare moments when I can't stand being in my skin when others can't even look at themselves in the mirror? But dysphoria is different for everyone, and nine times out of ten, if you think you're experiencing dyphoria, you probably are, even if it's in a way that is unique to you.

I think you absolutely belong in the trans community. You do no identify as the gender you were assigned at birth. Transitioning from binary to non-binary is just as valid a transition as swapping sides within the binary, or blending the binary. You're facing many of the same experiences and hurdles that MtF or FtM people face, and probably more, as there are less people willing to accept non-binary identities. Coming together to talk about it and not feel alone is what the community is all about.

6. TheRealTheaJane

Oddsocks... One of Us...

You certainly belong here! I think the "always known" narrative is what most people say to validate themselves to others- here in places like EC we can truthfully tell eachother that we do doubt ourselves; there always seems someone with worse dysphoria, or with more identity security, and it turns into a competition!

Being non-binary you're effectively more transgender than binary genders, if we're taking the word "Trans" to mean "cross", and as Kael said, cis people in general don't seem aware of non-binary as an option!

You belong here.. foreeeverrrrrrrrrrr........ :icon_eek:

7. GenderSciFi

whoahhh... so much like my feelings about this. sometimes the ONLY argument seems to be: well, if i obsess about it so much, i guess i am really non-binary (and trans, in my case), because cis people don't do that. but that seems a little weak.

well, with the coming out thing, it's ambivalent, i think: i came out to a lot of different people. some treat it really respectfully, they try not to misgender me, and include more than two genders in their language around me, they offer me help if i seem down and even tell me about trans-specific events and books and stuff. that makes me feel validated. but when i feel like people haven't stopped seeing me as a [gender assigned at birth], i start doubting myself again and tell myself that i don't have the right to expect different treatment, that i'm like an impostor, that i'm bothering others AND myself with this unnecessarily...
    that's why i question if it's not more harm than good for me to come out to (presumably cis) strangers and people who might not be the most accepting. maye it's the same for you?

huh, it's so helpful to read all of your experiences!

#7 GenderSciFi, Oct 9, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  8. ImSleepwalking

Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe those questions about yourself are hard to answer because they don't need answers. I feel like people can live in body and mind without owing people explanations, because likely if they can't feel the emotions themselves they won't get it, which isn't that your feelings are invalid, they just have never had the opportunity to experience them. Also, I think it would be awesome if you kept giving word in trans discussions; trans encompasses so many different identities that your situation would benefit people because it's not typical, and lead to some higher understanding.

9. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know this reply is horrendously late (life has been...being life and leaving me with not much time to come on here) but thank you so, so much, all of you! I really appreciate all the reassurances and knowing that I'm far from the only person who feels this way - or at least in a way like this!

I would go and quote a bunch of you folks and reply individually but by now that would make this a very long message, so I hope that at least for now you can settle for me sending you grateful internet hugs. You're all great and thank you for taking the time to let me know I'm not on my own with this at all.