1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Labels

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Hawk, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been going back and forth between androgynous (androgyne) and genderfluid, trying to find the term that fits. I kind of feel like I'm in between the two terms, but I don't know anymore.
    I understand that androgyne is both masculine and feminine simultaneously, and genderfluid fluctuates between male, female and everything in between, I get that, but I'm just don't know if I really fit into either terms.

I realize dress has nothing to do with gender, but I tend to gravitate toward more of the androgynous (unisex) look whether I'm feeling more masculine or feminine.
    But gender-wise, I do tend to have male days where I want to bind and/or pack, or just look more masculine, and female days where I don't care about my chest and just feel more feminine.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds to me like either/both of those would be fine, but if they're not sitting well with you then it's worth looking about for one that is (or, if it's your style, going without a specific label). "Genderfluid" definitely feels like it would cover your experience - genderfluidity can be fluidity between any number of genders: male/female, male/female/agender, female/agender/non-binary/androgyne, etc. But as I said, if it's not feeling like it fits you then there's no point trying to force yourself into it.

There's always the broad-reaching labels of non-binary or genderqueer (I know each has its specific connotations, I personally describe myself as 'genderqueer non-binary' because either one on its own feels weird) which encompass any kind of...non...binary identity? They're not excessively specific, which can be nice if you're struggling to pin down your gender experience and categorise it.

I don't know if that helps any, but I entirely empathise with the struggle to find a comfortable label! Hopefully you'll find something that works for you. :slight_smile:

3. TobaccoFlower

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I noticed you said you don't CARE about your chest instead of liking it.
    I think that I was in the same mindset as you about a month ago and I said "androgyne" for a while. But. Anyway. I started to get reminded by the forums that dysphoria comes and goes. Sometimes people just feel ok with who they are even if they are really dysphoria on other days. I realized recently that while I don't care about my body being male some days that the other side of the coin is hating how I look. So if I waffle between being pretty ok and distantly proud of my appearance to HATING it and LOVING when I can see why self as womanly, would you say I'm genderfluid or androgyne? Personally, I think I might be transgender.

but.

If you don't feel dysphoria most days then I'd say that there might be a good chance you're genderfluid. But telling the difference between fluidity and simply a lack of dysphoria can be hard. are you ever truly satisfied with your presentation? Is there some idea in your mind about how you want to look? Because visually you sit beautifully on the fence between the two.

Also, do you feel more yourself on those feminine days or do you just feel like you have fallen back into being who you're used to? Or maybe you feel like you can appreciate your femininity better on those days now that you're paying close attention?