1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't care about being misgendered?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by LifeAsWeKnowIt, Oct 7, 2015.

1. LifeAsWeKnowIt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i'm not sure if this is totally weird or if other people can relate, but it doesn't really bother me when people misgender me? i'm biologically female, and mostly female presenting (for now!) but i am probably nb or trans... im still figuring that out. now and then though i do get mistaken for being a guy or i get called him or sir or any other sort of male pronouns etc and it doesnt bother me? it doesnt really bother me when i get female pronouns or wordds used in relation to me but it does feel slightly off. basically no matter what gender im perceived as, im kind of okay with it? is that weird?

2. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel you on this - I don't really feel actively bad if people refer to me with female pronouns, etc. (The only times I ever feel actively misgendered are when a person who knows about my gender goes out of their way to gender me contrary to what they know I am.)

Sometimes it'll rub the wrong way a bit - especially heavily gendered words like 'woman' or 'lady' (or 'man', for that matter). But most of the time it's pretty chill. I consider my gender moderately up to viewer interpretation and as long as they're not actively going against something I've told them I am/am not, that's pretty okay with me.

So no, I don't think it's weird! Or if it is, I'm weird right along with you, I guess.

3. LifeAsWeKnowIt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, that's reassuring, thank you! Yeah I'm not really overly chill with super gendered words where there's no alternative (I'd rather be called 'king' than 'queen' I guess, but preferably neither??).

I'm not really out to anyone about gender stuff so there's no one really who goes out of their way to misgender me, unless they actively refer to me using male pronouns and stuff, but that doesn't bother me at all!

4. TheRealTheaJane

Working in retail and still actively presenting male, I get called "son" "bro" "mate" "dude" And stuff like that a lot, and although in my head I correct them and it makes me slightly twitch, it's really no big deal, because they're not to know better.

I do get some questions on why I'm wearing slight eyeshadow or eyeliner which bugs me... it's just the stereotypical gender presentation roles playing up. Just wait until I start wearing a padded bra! :wink: