1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for those who are in transition

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Daydreamer1, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is probably a weird question, and I'm apologizing now if this is scattered, incoherent or doesn't make a lick of sense. And I'm sorry if this just comes off as a long and winded vent.

Anyway, this has been on my mind for a while and I'm not sure what to make of it. I generally do weekly updates to keep track of my progress and if I notice any new changes, which I share on my blog. About a week ago, something like that came up in a conversation I had with someone. I don't remember what they said completely, but it turned into me feeling bad about doing my logs; even to the point where I feel bad even talking about being on T to other people in general. I feel like I'm just rubbing peoples noses in it that I'm on T and that I have the privilege to have access to health care, something I know not many people do for a variety of reasons.

I don't know where I'm going with this, but I suddenly felt really depressed and horrible for making a post saying how I just realized I'm eight months on T a few minutes ago. Maybe I'm just being an insensitive ass, but I feel like I can't be happy for where I am or talk about it because I might set off someone's dysphoria (since I've heard people say they've felt suicidal with Caitlyn Jenner being in the news a lot lately) and that I'm being one of those "white trans guys" who act like they're better than everyone else because of the resources they have, which I've never tried to do or act like. Ever since starting T, I didn't know if there was ever a moment where I could celebrate my progress or how far I've come; my battles with depression, suicidal ideation, and the makings of an eating disorder aside. Was there a point in all of this that I could celebrate that I was becoming the person I was supposed to be all this time? If yes, when. If no, then I'm shoving myself into the back again like I did when I was a kid--forcing myself to be quiet yet again.

I feel a constant wave of guilt over all of this, and then I feel worse for feeling like I'm guilt tripping others and being manipulative for feeling this way; whining and crying about my feelings and all that. I don't know, it's that and that the idea of being male is a awful thing and that it's not something to be proud of. I've spent my whole life trying to kill this part of me, and now that I'm working on getting over a wasted childhood where I was so angry with myself for being born wrong only for this rude awakening? I'm sorry if I come off as hostile, I'm just confused and honestly kind of hurt.

To make a confusing and rambling question short: When do, as trans people, have "the right" to celebrate our manhood/womanhood? If yes, when? If no, then what do we do (and why)?

2. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We always have the right celebrate our manhood/womanhood. And yeah, some people might feel worse seeing that eight months on T post, but there are at least just as many who feel hopeful hearing stuff like that.

3. Ghostling

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course you have the right to celebrate! You're living your life, not anyone else's and you posting things on a personal medium doesn't mean people HAVE to be there, yeah? If they're looking at your stuff it's their own fault. The internet is a huge place, there are plenty of other sites for people to be on.

You're not responsible for how anyone else feels about things. But you are responsible for how you feel, and if talking about your transition makes you feel good then do it. And don't let anyone drag you down. Everyone's allowed to feel happy about things and talk about experiences they've had. Don't let it get you down.

4. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Speaking as someone who sadly can't take T until he finishes college and moves away from home in 8 or so years (parents :'D) you have every right to celebrate! Anyone who's angry at you for sharing your experiences needs to check their envy. I'm very happy that you are able to transition using T, and I'm very happy you are even closer to becoming who you are inside. Please keep posting! I see a lot of blogs like yours, and if anything, seeing them doesn't make me sad, it makes me exited for the day I can finally start T! <3

5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have every right to celebrate, and don't let anyone guilting you into thinking otherwise! I feel hopeful when I see that you're on T, I want it someone and I'm glad that you're becoming who you were meant to be. Congratulations! :grin:

6. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sharing your story with others can give hope for those still waiting to start. In the end, before starting HRT life seems to empty and dark and often the only thing that keeps us going is the thought that one day things might be better and that hope comes from reading stories of others who have survived and have found happiness through transitioning...

Thank you for sharing and helping others... (*hug*)

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You can celebrate however you want. You've endured this, and you've earned this. Sure, some may be pissy and throw a fit, but that's life. Your intention isn't to be pompous or superior, and folks should know that.

Anyone that would throw a fit at you for triggering their dysphoria, is going to have to get over it. They don't have to check out your blog, or they can stop, if it's that bad. This is the most obvious option for them.

Secondly, we shouldn't be bringing others down. One thing I've noticed on Tumblr (and this toxic mindset is seeping into other areas of the web, even here) is, people don't want to reach a goal, because then they no longer have anything to complain about -- at least not to the degree of being transgender. Some folks like to stay in that pit of misery, even if they say they would do anything to get out of it. You have to ignore them, if they aren't going to be an adult about their feelings.

If folks thought about this, they'd realize you're actually doing the trans-community a huge favor. Well, more like favors:

You're being visible. This may seem like another notch on the belt, but it adds up. The more we are visible, the more awareness we bring, and the harder it is to deny our existence.

You are showing it can be done. This should inspire others to climb out of that pit and, if they have to, endure a little longer and take control of their situation. See, I can be pretty cold hearted about this, but it fits here:

If folks really want to do something, they will. If you back down or sabotage it, you only want the benefits, not the remedy. In this case, people don't want to lose their "woe is me" card, as they believe it entitles them to never being wrong, and having some kind of ultimate authority. Tumblr not only encourages this type of being, it breeds it!

Individuals giving you a hard time, look at why they are. Some may genuinely feel upset, but maybe you could address this. You're trans, right? Share your stories, make some connections, and then conclude with... and you can do it too.

You can strike a balance, but that means knowing how to be sensitive to others vs being who you are. Never lose yourself to a crowd.

8. Groosenator

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry that someone or perhaps a few people have given you grief about sharing your experiences, but there really is nothing for you to feel guilty about. Based on what you have just posted, I have difficulty seeing your attitude on the matter be anything like "Neener neener neener I'm on T and you are not, suckers!" Sharing your feelings and your experiences is by and large very helpful to a lot of people. I myself may never have started on T if it were not for the fact that that there were so many others before be who shared their stories and their experiences online where I could see them.

I think for anyone to tell you that talking about being on T is triggering while being on your blog would be kinda like a vegan going onto a burger restaurant's blog and talking about how upset it made them. If someone is triggered by the idea of someone else being on hormones other than theirself....... they probably shouldn't be on the blog of someone who is transitioning and talking about physical changes/updates.

As for the guilt, I'm going to give you a few words of advice that apply to all aspects of your life: You cannot feel guilty for being fortunate. You can't beat yourself up for having something that someone else does not have access to. Be grateful for your good fortune, but it is nothing to be ashamed of. There will ALWAYS be someone less fortunate than you. The people who berate you for daring to talk about your own experiences are not the least fortunate people in the world either. There is always someone further down the totem pole. If you go through life with that kind of mentality you will destroy yourself with guilt. Help others out when you can if that will ease your conscience, but don't you ever feel bad about being luckier than others.

The problem also with this kind of thinking is that it assumes you can only be content with your lot in life when there is no one less fortunate than you. It is a trap of negative thinking. You can't be guilt free while there is someone less fortunate than you -> assume you are the least fortunate soul in existence, how can you be happy then? Be happy for yourself and don't ever let anyone tell you that you are doing something wrong for being lucky.

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys, sorry for not adding to the thread. I've been really depressed today and was afraid that I was going to hear some responses that echoed what I've heard, so I tried to avoid the forum like the plague. Things have been really difficult for me lately, since my dysphoria has been kicking my ass, and I feel like I'm just pouring all my angst onto people mindlessly.

It's not made better by feeling like I'm whining about nothing, with this part of me telling me I should "stop bitching" about things related to my transition (and dysphoria), because there are people who can't transition and I should be thankful for what I have. Right now, I feel so shitty. I wouldn't say I regret starting T, because I know this was something I should have done a long time ago and I needed this for the sake of my well being. But I just hear something in my head telling me that I shouldn't have bothered in the first place. I'm just another stupid white fuck boy who is taking up resources and robbbing someone who is underprivileged of something they could benefit from so much; that I don't deserve any of this at all. Why the fuck do I have the right and nerve to be happy about a something "dumb" like a new beard hair when transwomen are being murdered in the streets?

A little part of me will nudge me and remind me that I'm not this superior person, and how I'm disadvantaged in several ways...but then everything just gets swept under the rug and forgotten because "they aren't big deals in the grand scheme of things" (ex: being severely mentally ill, having little to no income, and then being queer *which people say isn't a big issue anymore*). I know it's not healthy to keep myself in this cycling trap of mental beatdowns, but I don't know how to get away from it or make it stop. I just feel like I don't deserve any of this. I don't deserve the help of doctors, the support of others, words of encouragement, or any of it. I don't plan on talking about this anywhere besides here, because I got this aching feeling that if I talk about it to anyone anywhere else that I'm just going to get "side eyed", told to shut the fuck up, to check my privilege (which I have) and just a bunch of other things. I feel like it's not safe to talk without getting heavily judged or shamed anymore.

I'm sorry if I'm projecting, spewing word vomit, or being manipulative in any way (something I've been scared that I am any time I talk), but this is just getting to me a lot and I don't know how to process--not made better by feeling like other meds I'm on not doing shit for me to make me feel more grounded or here.