1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HRT Voice Changes: FtM vs MtF

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Jalo, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Note that these are from what I have seen.

I have come to notice that when a transman takes testosterone, his voice drops and eventually sounds full-on male.

However, when a transwoman takes estrogen, I tend to notice her voice gets higher, but it just doesn't go through the big transition versus how a transman's voice would. (I know how her voice sounds doesn't make her any less of a woman, but I tend to notice you can still hear the tint of the 'deep voice' in them.)

Why do you think this is?

2. rolling orange

Out Status:
    Some people
    Because your larynx can get longer and bigger on T, thus making your voice deeper. It can't shrink.

3. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Estrogen does not change a trans woman's voice, to my knowledge. From what I understand they work on their voices quite a bit.

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It varies depending on person too. MtFs have different results but it is definetely not as affective as testosterone for FtMs.

5. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Is that why people who are biologically female's voice doesn't change back to normal, even if they stop taking T, because it doesn't shrink back down?

6. InfinityonHigh

Yup. Testosterone is pretty irreversible.

7. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Estrogen doesn't do anything, cis women have high voices because of a lack of testosterone. E just changes fat, skin, and libido and a few other things.

8. InfinityonHigh

Testosterone is kind of like a mutating agent, once it's done, it's hard to go back. The default sex is actually female (and every single man in existence has technically been female if you want to argue) so what puberty you go through is basically whether not there's T. If there isn't a large amount of it, it goes to the default. That;s why a lot of pre-T trans guys look like prepubescent boys.

9. Lazuri

That is correct. That tinge of male voice you hear is the resonance. Think of it as when you blow into a bottle to make a sound; the sound will be deeper the less liquid is in it.

You can still get a really feminine voice, you just have to actually work for it.

10. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My endocrinologist said transfeminine HRT can raise the pitch a negligible amount, but pitch and voice quality aren't all there is to a voice, or someone's gender presentation. Someone's way of speaking, such as intonation and word choice, might be just as important.

I can't say for sure how relatively important these factors (pitch, quality, speaking style) are, but I don't believe pitch matters nearly as much as people seem to think. Testosterone affects both pitch and quality.

11. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was so exited to find out T changes voice. Voice change is what I want the most, even above top surgery (yes I said that). Maybe when I finally am able to take T I'll be able to love singing again :')

12. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Being non-binary, I hope to see a gender therapist within a year and talk about whether or not I would want to take T. I'm definitely going to get top surgery somewhere between 2017 - 2020, just seeing how life goes.

13. HardToSay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, Estrogen had a negligent Impact on my voice, but then again, I always had that sort of gender neutral voice that leaves People guessing when they hear me on the phone. Voice is very important for presenting one way or the other and t-men are very lucky that Testosterone has such a high Impact on their voices.

Think about it: we have all met those hard to identify as male or female kind of people and then, while we are guesssing, they start talking and the doubts are usually gone. :slight_smile: