1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unsure - genderfluid or...?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by splitinhalf, Oct 9, 2015.

1. splitinhalf

I'm biologically female, but recently I've been questioning my gender identity. I've always been a bit of a "tomboy", hanging out with dudes and play fighting with them and stuff, but it's always been pretty normal, but now I'm wondering if I'm something like genderfluid? I mean, sometimes I feel really good in my body, having curves, and lady parts and all that, but sometimes I just really hate my boobs, and I really want to express myself "masculinely". And I'm okay with people using "she/her" but I've felt uncomfortable when someone called me "woman" when I was feeling masculine, but also when someone called me "man" when I was feeling feminine... But on days that these things align, I pretty much revel in it? I don't know... I've also held an affinity for crossdressing since I was 11? So I don't really know how to identify myself...I was hoping if maybe some of you could give me opinions and stuff? (!)

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heya! Welcome to EC. :grin:

Tomboyishness and personality things are somewhat arbitrary when it comes to gender, these are simply gender roles which society imposes on us. It's ok to be female and break the norm. What really shows gender tends to be a discomfort in your body, like you appear to have shown, and discomfort in pronouns. It's very possible you could be genderfluid, but (cheesy as it is) only you can know for certain. You could also be bigender, which is being male and female at the same time. But if your gender fluctuates between days, that would be a bigger indicator of being fluid. It may also help to keep in mind that dysphoria has a tendency to come and go, so you might not feel utter discontent at every hour of every day.
    Good luck!

3. splitinhalf

Thanks! I've a question, though, is it possible to be genderfluid if I feel like most of my days I'm sort of in between, so I'm fine with expressing myself androgynously, or as most of the people I know would say, as a "boyish girl", which they're usually used to?. It's only some days when I feel more to one end or the other. It's pretty hard to describe, cuz I feel like it's on a scale and it sorta just fluctuates in the middle...?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    male feminine male masculine female female

---------- Post added 10th Oct 2015 at 11:18 AM ----------

Agh that was my failed attempt of creating a scale...

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, genderfluid can also fluctuate between other genders including anything non binary, or in between male and female. It basically encompasses shifting between all genders, this includes "the in between" genders. Hope this answers your question :slight_smile:

5. splitinhalf

Ah cool, thanks! That totally cleared a few things up for me!