1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yes, I wear dresses.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RavenTheRat, Oct 10, 2015.

1. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm strange, but really, this isn't.

I'm FtM. There's no doubt in my mind. But there's something that seems to bother some people. I love dresses. I love to wear them. Really, I like feminine clothes in general. I wear them every day, I hardly ever wear "manly" clothes.
    A lot of people (I'm out of the closet everywhere but at home) tell me that I shouldn't wear a necklace or lacy black blouse or *heavens forbid* a dress.

What's wrong with wearing a dress? What people of a specific gender can and cannot wear is a social construct, just like the idea that there are only two genders. How come a girl can dress like a man and she only gets called a tomboy, but it can't be the other way around? Give me one actual, scientific reason why a guy wearing a dress or jewelry is wrong. Ta-da, you don't have one.

If history could be changed, I could go back in time and make it so that men wearing dresses was the norm, and girls should never wear them. WE created that limitation.

Now, keep in mind I'm not worried about "passing". Do I wish that people would automatically call me male? Sure. But I REFUSE to dress the way society wants me to just for that. I'd rather love the way I look. I know I'm male, and my friends know I'm male. They call me him and I call me him because I am a him. I hate my breasts and I hate my high pitched voice. I wear dresses because I like them. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Just putting this out there, because I've met people who are FtM who doubt themselves because they like to wear jewelry or they enjoy wearing makeup. Being trans is about more than what kind of clothes you like to wear. It's also about your body and most importantly your mind. It's way more complicated than "I hate dresses so I must be FtM." And in the end no one but you can tell you that you are or are not trans- and if they try to, turn around and walk away so that they get a fantastic view of your fabulous butt.

#1 RavenTheRat, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  2. UniqueJourney

:thewave:

Yes! High five!! I love questioning and challenging society's expectations on things like gender roles and norms.

#2 UniqueJourney, Oct 10, 2015
  3. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Cool! ^.^ There's a guy at my school who wears dresses all the time~. I think it's really cool when people aren't afraid to go beyond gender norms! ^^

4. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who says dudes can't wear skirts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4 Kodo, Oct 10, 2015
  5. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wear that damn dress and screw society's "norms"

More power to you. You want to wear that dress, than do it, and ignore those who say you can't. What you wear is nobody's business. :thumbsup:

Holy balls, that man is sexy. Good looking and a damn good actor.

#5 ThatBorussenGuy, Oct 10, 2015
  6. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    *High fives*(!)

Haha, it is fun, isn't it?

But excuse me, you can't just put Viggo Mortensen and/or a guy who creepily resembles Viggo Mortensen as your avatar. My eyes are not worthy.

---------- Post added 10th Oct 2015 at 03:06 PM ----------

Haha, a boy in my dramatic class actually wore a kilt to school a couple days ago xD And DAMN those guys are preeeetyyyy

---------- Post added 10th Oct 2015 at 03:07 PM ----------

Okay, your signature has to be the best signature I have ever seen. Why do anime couples have to be so adorable, it isn't fair!