1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I do first?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Natasha Elyssa, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Natasha Elyssa

If everything goes as planned and I start my transition soon, where should I start? My local LGBT center has recommended me to go and meet with them, but is this the right place to start? Should I talk to them and their counselors with my parents first? Or should I do something else first? Just some thoughts and advice if anyone can give. <3 :slight_smile:

#1 Natasha Elyssa, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  2. thepandaboss

It wouldn't be a bad idea. Even if you don't stick with them, your local LGBT center may be able to get you in touch with other resources and recommend things like endocrinologists and therapists. This can be a good first step, especially considering the fact that the center might also have events, support groups, and more, which can give you a great opportunity to connect with other people in the same situation and help educate and inform your parents about the community and what's involved with your transition.

But if anything else, I highly recommend researching and looking into a gender therapist even if you don't hit up that center. A good gender therapist should be able to help out your parents when it comes to understanding what's going on and help you get started with the next steps of your transition.