1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family's comments about trans* making me extremely terrified to come out...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Jalo, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Jalo

Jalo Guest

I'm going as Justin Bieber for Halloween, all in the name of fun. I bought a wig to get that "Bieber hair" going, and I presented the wig to my family. It looked ridiculous and it was extremely funny. Since it was the same color as my hair, my dad decided to prank his parents by taking a picture of me wearing it and saying I got a haircut. They totally fell for it but were trying to be as supportive as possible.

My brother than said, "Grandma was just saying that to be nice. She was probably thinking, though, 'Oh my god! My granddaughter wants to be a boy!'."

I felt a bit at unease but I laughed along with it, until my mom said, "You would make a terrible transgender boy!"

I stopped laughing and my face went red. I was taken aback. I'm not a transboy (agender as you can see), but I still felt extremely violated. I nervously laughed it off.

My brother then speaks again, saying in a sarcastic voice, "Aw mom... ya hurt her feelings. She really wants to be a transgender boy."

I then made a fake laugh and said, "I would really not want to be a boy. I just think being JB is funny."

They then started a conversation about LGBTs, and focused on transgenders in specific. They made comments about transgender people. They weren't really mean comments, but they weren't that nice either. I felt exposed, confused, and vulnerable. I laughed along with these jokes that they made just to keep my cover.

Afterwards, I tried calling up my friend but he wouldn't pick up or answer my texts. So I'm posting it here to get it off my chest and seek support. I know this is rant-ish, but yeah...

I don't know what I'll do... or if I come out, even if it's way in the future, how they'll react and I'm scared they'll reject me.

2. Natasha Elyssa

My parents say some pretty messed up things from time to time. They have made comments as well. But when I cornered my mom and told her how much their comments hurt me and made them untrustworthy in my eyes when I came out yesterday, she just cried and seemed sorry about it. They jut don't understand or have adequate knowledge of gender i.d. and expression. If you come out, they would most likely feel like five year olds in time-out if you make them know that they're words terrify you. Even if they're unsupportive, you still have your self pride and a community of people willing to talk. *Hugs* <3 :slight_smile: