1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Natasha Elyssa, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Natasha Elyssa

When should I approach my mom with the gender therapy information? When I go to college, how much change would be too much too soon? What would I do in therapy?

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1) Your mom and Gender Therapy Information: How does your mom feel about your transition, if you're out to her? Websites like PFLAG have pamphlets for parents and friends of trans people with various kinds of information and other resources. I linked my mom to them over Facebook, but I know some people left it on the table for them to find.

2) Changes: By that, do you mean in regards to HRT? Everyone is different, so you'll experience things differently from another person. Some notice big changes right away, and some don't for months.

3) Therapy: For me, it was getting to know me more and I was asked different things like how long I've been feeling the way I do, my short term and long term goals with my transition, and how my dysphoria affects me (when I initially brought it up). I also deal with other issues, so me and my therapist would try to find means of distracting myself to make my dysphoria and panic attacks easier to manage and a few other things. My therapist also gave me resource information for doctors in the area, and got in touch with the case worker who would eventually help me get on T.

3. Natasha Elyssa

1) I have come out to my mom and she doesn't want me to transition until college. What I meant was, my mom agreed to take me to a gender therapist. But since I came out Thursday, is it too soon to talk to her again? She also said to give her the weekend. She wouldn't listen to me, she wants to hear the words come out of a "professional's" mouth. (She does that all the time)

2) I meant, what would be overkill such as cross dressing and makeup. Like what would be too much too soon? Ex: wearing skirts and heels to class everyday.

3) Yes, I see. But would the therapist be able to convince my mom of the importance of my transition? Will he/she be able to convince my mom that my dysphoria is real? Would she/he be able to help me start my transition?