1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The thought, "Why would anyone ever want to be ______"

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Kodo, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Something occurred to me, and I wanted to know if any other trans people had had this thought before. Essentially, ever since I was little I never saw the point of being female. In fact, I viewed it as a significant disadvantage and I thought to myself, "Why on earth would anyone ever want or be proud to be a girl?!" Now I realize that this thinking is not due to a universally acknowledged fact that "men are better than women" (which is completely untrue) but my own confusion/indignation at the time.

So has anyone else ever thought this? Even trans-women, have you ever thought to yourself "why would anyone want to be a man?"

Just to clarify, I don't think that men are superior in any way. I fully understand that some people do in fact crave and appreciate womanhood, in much the same way that I do for manhood.

2. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    yeah, I get what you're saying. But, some people are very proud to be girls. Sort of like gay pride. We cant change who we are, so we might as well be proud.

3. randomconnorcon

I still think it. I don't want to, I hate it every time the thought crosses my mind, but I can't help it. I think it's because I feel... disconnected from it as a gender, or as my gender. People view me as female, they say I should be female, but I've never felt female. They can call me one all they like, I'm not one. But for a while, I didn't know that. I didn't think I could be something other than what people called me. And I hated the feeling of being this person that I was told I should be, so I started thinking Who would want this, who would want to be a girl?

I don't think men are superior to women, given some of the things women go through that men will never know I actually think women are, in many ways, much stronger and better. None of my negative feelings are directed toward anyone who identifies as female, they are directed at myself for being put in a role I shouldn't have been born into. I ask myself why would anyone want to be a girl because of my own life and my own wish to not be. I've never asked another person because I don't want anyone to feel hurt by it, I don't want them to misunderstand and think I mean all females when I just mean myself. The question I should probably ask is why are people so intent on putting me in a box and saying this is what girls do?

It's a fucked up mental state I can't escape from.

#3 randomconnorcon, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it a lot, not due to social roles but purely the body. Who would want a female body. No offense to anyone who has/wants one and loves it. If you happy with it then I happy for ya

5. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being a man does feel awful to me and yes, I have thought why would anyone ever think it is better to be a man than a woman? It seems so natural for me to be a woman and strange to be a man. Seriously, being a man can be so unpleasant... :redface:

6. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to think something like this. I didn't understand why anyone could be alright with being male. I think I only got it once I discovered that trans men exist. Before I understood I was female, I assumed all AMAB people wanted to be female, and gender shaming was all that was stopping them.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

No, at least not in a detrimental way.

It's interesting to think about, but I can see why somebody would want to be male. There are certain perks to it, so to speak.

I don't see either one as better or inferior to the other. They're just two sides of the same coin. However, I got screwed on the flip.

8. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've felt like this lol. But I eventually realized it was simply that I couldn't imagine why I would ever want to be a woman. Feels weird even saying that :confused: Just such a foreign concept.

9. shinyemerald

shinyemerald Guest

Even thou I'm not sure if I am trans. or not I had this thought sometimes... (no offense to anyone) if I think of men I feel disgust and fear... I know not every male is the same but its just in my mind... I have a hard time understanding males and being male...

10. Trypto

I'm a bit relieved now, I always felt like I was the only one.
    I was ashamed because I couldn't stop thinking that being a man is/would be so much better. Although I have nothing against women and think everyone is equal, I've always felt so bad about my way of thinking. Everything is actually only directed at me, I hate being called a woman and everything that has to do with me being "female".
    Connor already described it perfectly. It's exactly the same for me.
    I hope it gets better when I can finally live as me and people stop treating me like a woman.

11. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I felt like that all the time when I was little. But I never put any stock into it, because of the misogyny in the world, and how women were always looked down on by men. I thought some of that misogyny and negativity seeped into everyone's heads, against our will, because of the sexist influences... I still don't know whether I felt like that as a kid because of those outside influences or because I may or may not be transgender. As I've grown, I've started to respect women a lot more, even more than men; however, I still have this "Why would anyone want to be a women?" mentality.

12. FootballFan101

I had that thought a few times just the clothing is bland and society exepts you to be a stronger than women and if you have a family you have to be the man of the house and stuff

I once had the thought but about females about how they dont play video games (which is a lie) but its false and I was too young

13. Jellal

No, I don't think that being a man is inherently awful. There have been lots of great men and I'm sure there will be more in the future.

Only to me, it's kind of like having to live a joke played in rather poor taste? It ain't for me.

14. MetalRice

I do think something along those lines sometimes, I fucking hate being AMAB, it's fucking awful, knowing in my mind that I am female in every way shape and form but stuck in this drab and foreign body, stuck with this foreign identity that does not really belong me, it makes me wonder how anyone could ever enjoy being male or like it.

Of course, I realize that my thoughts are due to my own self-loathing and disconnect with the gender I was assaigned as at birth, and that they aren't really right to a degree.