1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stifled expression

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JaggedPrism, Oct 17, 2015.

1. JaggedPrism

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Does anyone have advice for times when it's not possible to fully express the gender you feel you should be? I feel so much more right when I'm wearing a packer (even my fake one made from rolled up stockings because I can't afford a real one at the moment :icon_sad:slight_smile: but because of my job, I can't wear it to work or wear more masculine clothes or any of the things I'd love to be able to do. I've decided that my earrings are a personal symbol of my fluidity even if no one else knows about it. Since women wear earrings, that represents the female, I enjoy them personally so that represents the neutral, and (even though it's a stereotype and not necessarily true for everyone) straight men wear one in the left ear and gay men on the right so that represents both sides of my male orientation. I'm hoping that this internal knowledge of the earrings I'm wearing will carry me through the days when the dysphoria is strong, but I worry.

2. Distant Echo

Y-fronts instead of knickers?

3. MissNicole

Anything that makes you feel better about yourself.. I have to wait until I get home and shut the door before I get to really do anything.

With the people know, you could hang out with them and wear all the things you can't wear at work, and take a bunch of pictures.

4. JaggedPrism

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's a fantastic idea! Easily concealable at work and should help quite a bit!

---------- Post added 17th Oct 2015 at 09:12 PM ----------

Unfortunately, most of the people I hang out with have small children and it would be difficult to explain to the kiddos why I'm suddenly dressed like an "uncle" rather than an "aunt". Though I am talking with them about how to explain it to the children. Awareness of diversity should be good for them. I think they'd take it well, also. They'd just be a little confused at first.